• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking to purchase a 1996 1083 and drive it 120 miles home. What could possibly go wrong?

coachgeo

Appreciate all the responses! I have made a list of all the points made and also looked through various other threads related to must do maintenance items and checks, and merged them all together.

Turns out the truck sold yesterday. But at least now I have a good guide for what to check and look out for as I continue my search,
another thread that might be helpful is the tools to carry thread if you do end up driving one home. WIll come back with link on that one.. think I have it in my book marks

coachgeo

another thread that might be helpful is the tools to carry thread if you do end up driving one home. WIll come back with link on that one.. think I have it in my book marks
ahhh... two good threads and a good post

Emcaskill

That video from Michelin makes it sound easy - having experienced a front right sidewall failure on my DOT 2008 Goodyear MV/T's - the amount of sidewall on these tires and how far the truck drops on that one corner is ALARMING and the violence of the shredded rubber not evenly rolling under the rim - it's like riding a bucking horse that's tilted 15 degrees to the side. I've also run into a ditch on the side of a rural highway doing about 45 MPH and there's NO WAY you are holding onto the wheel - you can't even keep your ass in the seat let alone your foot on the gas pedal. You lose a steer tire at speed in these trucks and god help you man - you best hope you opted for the model with the shelter on it to keep from having the cab crushed flat and being an LMTV "man and cheese" hot pocket. My "experience":

Fortunately I was headed onto an off-ramp at about 35 MPH and it was a "controlled" release of air - at least initially. I'm a lucky SOB.

View attachment 914777

View attachment 914778
I looked at one today to drive home and the date codes 2011 . I’m looking for new tires now , I really want the truck

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at one today to drive home and the date codes 2011 . I’m looking for new tires now , I really want the truck
Yeah those would be potentially dangerous. I got 5k miles out of my desert dry rotted 2008's when I bought my truck in 2021 so 2011 dated tires are basically the same age as the failed tire I posted pictures of.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it possible to plot a course home via secondary roads? Even if nothing goes wrong mechanically, the words "travel slowly" and " Interstate" don't go together.

Jack has an M221 tractor at his yard that got rear ended by a commercial truck doing 80 mph...the M221 driver did not survive.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Is it possible to plot a course home via secondary roads? Even if nothing goes wrong mechanically, the words "travel slowly" and " Interstate" don't go together.

Jack has an M221 tractor at his yard that got rear ended by a commercial truck doing 80 mph...the M221 driver did not survive.
luck of the ugly draw.. sorry to hear about M221 Driver...... realistically I bet back roads less safe. Little to no places to pass slower vehicles don't mix with idiots in a hurry. Least on the Four Lanes and Interstates an idiot has at minimal 50% more chance to safely pass you.... that and big tow services and truck repair places are usually not far off interstates AS WELL AS DIESEL FUEL.

Eastern Front

Just drove my 923 home from the everglades, 9 hrs by GPS, 16 hrs by reality ;-)
When I arrived to pick it up, transmission was 6qts low (owner never knew there was a fill tube under the floor) Engine oils was about 5 quarts low and lastly coolant was 3 gallons low.. Never the less, after truck wide inspection we hit the road, ran like a top all the way!
Its a testament to the durability of these trucks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks