• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looks like my Air Dryer is blown.

Micmada

Was on the highway and all of a sudden I lost air pressure. It was too noisy to detect where the leak came from, I ended up pushing the emergency button and dragged the truck out to a gas station on the side. One of my hubs was smoking because of the brake stuck down. I caged it and when I poured water to prevent a possible fire, it was crackling like crazy. I let it cool off. Then found that the valve apparently on the air dryer was not shutting and it kept spitting puffs of air down its nozzle, i performed a field repair bypassing the air drier, putting the hose directly to the wet tank and drove back home that way with air lines partially open so as not to over pressure and test the other valves. I also had to hit the brakes to keep it down a few times on the way home 5 miles away.

i do not feel like fixing the air dryer, I think it is too old with cracking plastic parts and needs replacement, or maybe you all think it can be serviced. Anyways, I think I will get a new one and maybe keep this one for parts or order a better brand, who knows. I think I also will service those hubs, especially the one that got hot. Hopefully did not do too much damage there.

Micmada

any body have any experience retrofitting with an AD-9 style air drier? It seems to be cheaper but I am not sure what this story on having a Port A or not is all about. Also it seems they only sell the assembly without the wire harness nor any other components. Not sure where to get the right set up.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Micmada

Folks often use these

You can use an AD9 it isn't any different just make sure it's a 24v thermostat. You don't want an AD9 that takes a purge tank
That‘s what I am talking about. So This looks like the complete set up for the same price of getting the lower and upper kit... hmm... I could not find complete AD9s. Was not sure what other parts I needed with the units they were sending. So I guess I will stick with halidex.

Micmada

Folks often use these

You can use an AD9 it isn't any different just make sure it's a 24v thermostat. You don't want an AD9 that takes a purge tank
Ok, I ordered it and installed it. I have much higher pressure on the top gauge running about 130 PSI which I assume is the dry tanks while the bottom one fluctuates between 90 and 125 psi as the dryer purges. It has this 30 second fiz that makes it drop once it purges. There also is condensed moisture around the purge nozzle. I think I have well connected the heater element. I am trying to figure if I get the heater element heated when in operation. I will at least run the fluke meter on the truck end to see if ai have any voltage.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ok, I ordered it and installed it. I have much higher pressure on the top gauge running about 130 PSI which I assume is the dry tanks while the bottom one fluctuates between 90 and 125 psi as the dryer purges. It has this 30 second fiz that makes it drop once it purges. There also is condensed moisture around the purge nozzle. I think I have well connected the heater element. I am trying to figure if I get the heater element heated when in operation. I will at least run the fluke meter on the truck end to see if ai have any voltage.
Heater is thermostat controlled.

If it's fluctuationing then you have a leak you need to address

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks