• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loose rad fan

Asymair95

Was changing my coolant and thermostat today in my 97 1078. Decided I better check the cooling fan for looseness because of the horrible stories I’ve heard on here of fans flying into the rad. I turned the main power switch on, tilted the cab, and grabbed the fan. I was able to wiggle the fan about a 1/16” or less. My question is how much movement is too much?

Attachments

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Wiggle in proper motion or pulling the blade forward play? Is anything loose? Some of the blades are sandwiched between 2 metal plates with rubber between them and the blade in the middle.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just do your self a favor and take it apart and remove that rubber and bolt fan blade to hub.

Asymair95

Superman,
It wiggles forward to back, but just a little bit, maybe 1/16”

I did have to tighten some of the Allen bolts around the fan when I first got the truck, they had worked themselves loose. Will check them again, but I really haven’t driven it much since then.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That rubber will rot out and fan will wobble all over the place and when clutch kicks in it can destroy blade and throw it into radiator.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Yup I’m thinking that should be addressed. The fan blades themselves are pretty stiff so they won’t flex. if the mounting is flexing somewhere its probably not right. And yes on a bad day the fan clutch can decide to toss the blade into your radiator. Seen that happen a few times.

Asymair95

From what I’ve read, finding a new style clutch is pretty easy. Finding a fan that fits it though is tough. Has anyone found a vendor selling the new style fan yet?

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a easy fix to remove rubber and bolt fan to hub. And has been a reliable fix.

We've done several trucks with no failures.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The holes are already there on blade and hub all you need are a good grade of bolts and locknuts.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No the Allen head only bolts the hub
The rubber is the only thing holding the blade due to compression

Asymair95

Will the number 31 rubber mount slide over the air fitting on the end, or does all that stuff need to come off?

Can I re-use bolt 37 or do I now need shorter bolts because the rubber mount is gone?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks