• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lot of Jeep questions

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you've got a bit of a jeep salad. The motor is from an MB. You have a MB frame tag welded on there too. The frame looks MB to me. You should try the G503.com again. If you post in the MB/GPW technical section you will get a response.

ChuckH

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
44 MB frame
43 GPW data plate, looks like a 11-5-43 DOD to me, AAWII shows that sn 158278 had a DOD of 11-6-43. I think by late 43 both Ford and Willys were using the ACMII tub
GPW's ( and maybe MB's) have a tub # on the drivers side toe support (triangle stamped bracket from lower firewall to frame)

Original motor build date should be stamped on the oil pan gasket surface of the block.

Last edited:

phantomjeep

Thanks for the info. I will look for a # on the toe brace, but the motor # will have to wait till the next rebuild!!!! it's back in. I have dug through the files and found the old title I had returned from the sec. of state and I will scan and post soon. the # matches the add on tag in the middle of the dash. and shows that # may be the # given when sold to the public??
This jeep came with the capstan winch on it. but some of the part are missing,has anyone found part for this style???? I am told that this is a rare item to have and were not put on for the military ???? The jeep has a big brother now too M35A2

Attachments

Godagesil

Jeep parts, frames, engines estimated prices

My father recently died and left three jeeps in various degrees of salvagability behind his house. The engines were pulled and in his shop. My %$#&^% sister the executor sold the lot for $500. My dad refused an offer of $2500 before he died. I want to know how bad my numbskull sister let us get hosed.

godagesil@hotmail.com

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
depends what kind of engines they were and condition. If they were WWII blocks you got hosed. If not WWII you got a good deal

Chuck

Godagesil

I know that at least one was a 1943 Willys Not too sure about the others, but my dad had a willys back in the early 60's while at Loring AFB in Maine. His intent was to rebuild a WWII era vehicle.

Thanks for the reply.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post a pic of the Capstan parts. I installed a Braden Capstan winch on my '45 MB... There are a few places to get capstan winch parts, but none of them are cheap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks