• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lots of knocking and dies in reverse

jmarch58

Hey guys just got my m923 a2 and it was fine till I took it to get gas and never made it there. I think it might be the transfer case but not sure lots of knocking and kept dying can't make it two feet in reverse without dying. Any ideas guys I might just take it to a mechanic if I can get it there

Last edited by a moderator:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well based on your description of the problem you stated that you took the truck to get some "GAS" I am Hoping that you REALLY MEANT DIESEL FUEL and NOT GAS? The difference in your case would be that you now have a destroyed engine, that is what happens if you put GAS into the truck!
KK

R Racing

Do a search ! This has happened several times, and there are several posts on it . Can't remember if its a transfer case issue. But I believe it has to do with it not being all the way engaged.

jmarch58

what i figured out in a night neutral and low have something wrong on the transfer case because when either on is selected no power is transferred to wheels. i think that high gear might be going out on it and that the button might be sticking so tomorrow i am going to try working on the lever since it seems like the wires are catching on the parking brake lever box. any mechanical advise is welcome like always. still love that truck even if it did breakdown the first day i had it

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the manuals downloaded? I suggest giving them a look.

brasco

I had a similar issue on my M923A2... I discovered that the transfer case button was stuck in and it would kill the engine as soon as I shifted into reverse... it has something to do with opening a valve in the transmission to relieve the pressure on the transfer case... it works OK if you are actually in Neutral and trying to shift transfer case but may kill the engine if trying to shift into Reverse... just something to investigate.

Note: The button didn't look like it was stuck in but used a pair of pliers to gently pull the button out and it solved the problem. I think it should stick out about 7/16" if my memory is correct. It also has a lot more movement than you might first expect.

Last edited:

jmarch58

Well I fixed the button on the transfer case shift lever but now I can't get back into high tried draining air pressure still wondering shift but the button works now lol

dmetalmiki

There Y'a go..a little applied science works wonders every time. Now you can carry on enjoying (and avoiding that satisfied smirk!)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks