• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low oil pressure- need advise

dougimes

My Navy m38a1 has been running great as a daily driver for 6 months or so. Recently, oil pressure has been dropping from what was 10 or so idle to 30 or so at cruise. I don't trust the 0 to 120psi electrical military guage to be all that accurate, so it may be 15 to 35, or 5 to 25.

Recently, it has fallen off. a bit, most noticably at cruise- 15 maybe.

oil looks good, not burning it. Sounds good, power good, no changes in driving habits (except its warming up here in SC). Am running synthetic, was running 30 wt. Do know for sure if this occured in connection with the oil change. they were in the same time frame..

What do you think about replacing the oil pump?

The pix was on a recent run up to Davidson River NC for a few days of camping.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd check it with a known good master gauge before replacing parts. Also, since it's older it might not tolerate synthetic lube. Try going to a 20w50 petrolium based oil

Last edited:

JGBallew

Seconding(thirding?) the use of a direct reading gauge. Find one that reads more in the range that F-head's pump, 0~50 PSI.

One I have in read zero on the dash gauge at idle, but with a known good direct reading gauge indicated 10 pounds idle and near 45 at cruise.

So, run the gauge first. If the pressure is low with a proper weight oil of any base, then yes you should investigate further. (Pump, drop the pan ,etc)

dougimes

Good advise.

I studied the manual on the oil pump, seems like it can be bench measured, clearences etc.

I am not sure it will come out without moving the engine off the frame.

has anyone ever taken one out with the engine installed? What are the steps?

Thanks

JGBallew

Pulling the driver's side fender would probably help, along with the header's downpipe.
Again, I'd bolt up a direct reading gauge before going that far.

The measurements you saw are intended to keep an old pump from being bolted to a freshly overhauled engine.

dougimes

Wo here is the paul harvey rest of the story

dropped the oil pan, checked out the sump and oil pickup
refilled with 20-50 petrolium based
installed a mechanical guage

When hot, shows 15 at idle, 45 at cruise.

Electrica pressure guage shows 5 and 20.

It was the guage, and the thin synthetic oil. mostly the guage

jime

Just checked mine. The electronic gauge read 10 all the time with engine running regardless of RPM. I hooked up the direct read and am getting 25 at idle and 45 at high rpms. The top end of the motor was rebuilt shortly before I got the jeep. I looked for an acceptable range in the manual but couldn't locate it. Does this range sound good?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
25 at idle and 45 at high rpms.

Does this range sound good?

Oh yeah, that's fine.

A good rule to remember is that is typically takes 10psi per 1000 rpms to create the hydrodynamic wedge that "floats" a crank in the bearings.

So you're well within that rule.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks