• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lurker from Minnesota

Awkwardly Awesome

Hey Everyone,

My name is Saige. I just found this website a few weeks ago. I am in the process of purchasing a new daily driver and have a $10k limit for everything. I am stuck between a M1008, M1009 and a Jeep Cherokee (XJ) or Grand Cherokee (ZJ). It will mainly be used for offroading and driving to the bus stop for work (1.5 miles from my house so it won't get driven much on the streets except from getting to and from the trails). Lucky for me I still have a few months till I will be ready to purchase the initial vehicle so I still have plenty of time to get my research done choose which vehicle will be best for me.

I found this place upon researching more about the M1008. No matter what vehicle I end up with, I am glad I found this place as I also have a great love for deuce and a half's. I hope to eventually one day own a bobbed deuce as well.

Danger Ranger

Okey doke, it looks like I got here first so here we go....

1. Where are you in MN? I like it up there, and have family there.

2. Everyone here will tell you to read the rules, read the TMs (when you get an MV) and use the search function. This is a big deal here so we can keep topics contained to less threads than if everyone asks a question where another thread answers it. You get the point.

3. This may sound harsh, but it can sound worse later, so remember this is a military vehicles site and not an offroading site like Pirate4x4.

TO answer your topics I would go with a Cherokee for reliability, or a M1009 otherwise. YOu want to haul something slowly, go with the M1008. Others here who own any of these may chip in and tell you more though. Welcome to the club, watch out for green fever....lol. Whatever you end up with, keep us updated, we love pictures, lots of pictures!!!

Awkwardly Awesome

I live in Apple Valley, Minnesota.

And I am glad this isn't like Pirate4X4. I would never want to start a thread over there about M1008/9's. It would just turn into a 10 page thread complaining about the 24v system and how stupid I am for wanting a 6.2L... Yeah I think I will stay here instead. Besides I know enough about suspension building that I don't need their "help".

And I promise to keep my threads down to a minimum. Coming from the Volkswagen scene and being on a forum as big as VWvortex (in the top 30 largest forums in the world) it gets old having 25 threads about the same thing all in 4 pages of a forum. Don't worry, I love the search function.

I like the M1009 much more in terms of offroad (much shorter wheel base) than a M1008 but the 10 bolt axles and gearing scare me with them. I plan on running trailworth fab re-centered hummer beadlocks with the 37" grooved goodyears. I will destroy a 10 bolt pretty fast with those or so my cousin tells me (he is a c/k series guy). I also plan on doing a 3-4" lift with some trimming (if needed). Eventually I would like to go 4-link front and rear with coilovers and airbags for a forced articulation setup/leveling. But nothing is set in stone yet.

dozer1

Hi from SE MN . Welcome to the site and enjoy . I dont have a CUCV but I got a deuce and a M817 dump truck scattered all over my shop. Look me up if you are ever down this way. (Austin area) Dean

axlr8

Dozer1, how is that 817 coming? Once I get my license, I may wonder over to do a double task, meet the girlfriend, and try to check out your deuce and toys if possible? I havent seen an update in your build thread in a while! :driver:

CobraCDR

Welcome to the club! You may want to go back in and add your city to your profile information before someone 'reminds' you to as well. Are you looking at getting this vehicle from GL or from a private sale?

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site! Ya you'll find this site is a LOT different than Pirate that's for sure.

dozer1

Dozer1, how is that 817 coming? Once I get my license, I may wonder over to do a double task, meet the girlfriend, and try to check out your deuce and toys if possible? I havent seen an update in your build thread in a while! :driver:
You must have an online honey somewhere west of you eh :-D Ya, if your planning on coming out this way in the future and you want to stop by, just PM me ahead of time. The 817 bodywork is for the most part off the truck and awaiting blasting, repairs. I was going to hold off on the updates as I am not working on it very steady. Good luck on the licence.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks