• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 172 semi trailer parts list

protactinium 231

Prior to disassembling I would like to acquire the parts list for this trailer. The serial number looks like 6671, manufactured by PRESSED STEEL CAR CO, Chicago, delivered 9/28/53.

The identification plate calls for "PARTS LIST ORD. 9-SNL G-797"

My primary interest is in the axles and hubs. When winter sets in, I will probably tear it down and start searching the old fashioned way, but it would be nice to have the original parts list now. I know I need to replace some of the hubs, and if they are unavailable, I would appreciate any substitution information as well.

Thanks!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy, do you have a M172 or M172A1? I have not had any luck finding the odd skinny inner dual Budd nuts found on the A1. Hubs are going to be impossible to find.

ReoRider

Regularly available on ebay is a cheap copy of TM9-2330-211-14 covering the M172/A1. Has the parts blow-up and listing. I went through the brakes on mine last spring and found some of the parts getting harder to get- checking with couple of suppliers was needed.

protactinium 231

Do you believe the parts will be the same for M172 and M172/A1?

Several years ago I had the hubs off one side of this trailer, which I do not own, and at the owner's request I modified it to use oil rather than grease. I had sleeves machined to fit the spindles so they would work with a Stemco seal. (If I recall correctly the original seals were sort of a felt-like material which could not be expected to hold oil.) The hubs were damaged and should have been replaced at the time. Now I have persuaded the owner to let me repair it properly, "if it doesn't cost too much". I suspect that I will have to tear it down first, and with parts in hand I should be able to find replacements, with a lot of searching and the right amount of luck.

Any additional information would be appreciated. Thanks!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I fished out my copy of TM9-2330-211-14. The hubs are different on the 172 slick and the A1. The hub p/n for your trailer is FSN 2530-318-120, ord p/n 8379664. Years ago I tried to find a hub for a M172A1 that came from Ft Hood minus one hub. Perfect trailer, just missing a hub/drum. NOBODY had one, and I mean I called every dealer in the US.

protactinium 231

Sadly, many things like the trailer missing one hub have been swallowed in the scrap metal feeding frenzy of the past several years. I can't even guess how many useful and interesting things I have seen crunched into those scavengers' trailers. I have bought a few things just to save them from the melting pot, and need to find new homes for some, like a 1951 Mack. Space and funds are limited, and I can't save them all.

One or both of the hubs I have looked at on this trailer had been worn to where it would not firmly hold the inner bearing race. If all else fails, I guess they can possibly be built up and re-machined to size. Another possibility may be to sleeve the spindles to take other bearing/hub combinations. It would be interesting to know of anyone else coming up with a solution to this problem. It is easy to dream up a theoretical solution, but not so easy to make it happen when one is not a machinist with the proper equipment, or a person with endless funds to throw at a problem. Maybe I should be trailer shopping.

Thanks for your input!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would try a shim stock material starting at .0005" and see if you can wedge the race in there. I'm guessing this trailer is not seeing daily use on the interstate loaded with 20 tons. Plan b would be the build up, but that is quite expensive.

protactinium 231

You are very correct in the way the trailer is used, occasional, short run, farm stuff.

Actually, last time I worked on it I did insert some shim stock and Loctite, and I was not optimistic. However, when I run the trailer, I always check for oil level, evidence of leaking, and bearing heat. I am always surprised to find no evidence of failure.
What has me motivated at the moment is that I a contemplating a trip to retrieve a Cat D6 dozer a few hours from home, and I want to minimize the possibility of surprises. If I were to "do it right" we should then have a trailer that is reliable for the long term, and little else to worry about, I think.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Resurrecting this very old one....

I'm currently working on this old-but-good M172 (attached dataplate, below): hubs are getting new bearings and more modern seals.
Also machined the non-original, wrong (course ! ) thread studs to work with regular L-R 1⅛-16 thimbles & nuts, to then accept (modified) M1000 wheels.
The goal is to run this thing on tubeless 245/70R17.5 LR J tires.

We have the M172A1 TM in our library, but from what I could see some things are different between the early model and the A1 version.
So I really wish I could get the original TMs for this old trailer; that is TM9-8222 and ORD. 9-SNL G-797. (Or maybe bother someone here who has those books, to eventually scan some details for me...:))

Specifically looking for a parts diagram of the hub, this time.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... at this link, they seem to have a copy of TM 9-8222. I think you have to subscribe to the site, but not sure.

TM 8222 m172 25-Ton Low Bed Semitrailer | PDF
View attachment 915585
Scribd
https://www.scribd.com › document › Tm-8222-m172-2...
Yes, I saw that one. But I was hoping to find the info without having to pay for it...

Did find this, at the below link. Do not know if its the whole TM.
Thank you, that one sure helped! From the description and many pictures it seems that what I just built is exactly what it had from factory. (talk about reinventing the wheel...!)
It's better than nothing.
Seems to be a partial...
Exactly... and yes, it's only an extract of the original book. But at least we now know that the hubs and wheel studs are different between the early model and the A1 version. And the reason for it seems to be clear: the later design has been simplified and looks to be stronger and more reliable, too.

Interestingly, the dual wheel-to-hub assembly is more or less the same for the M172 as we have on our Deuces: six ¾"-16 studs, plus one thimble and one nut,, respectively. Only this trailer is rated at 25 tons, not 2.5/5.0... (!)

Ideally, this thing should have axles with 10 studs per hub, just like the M1000 has. And the brake components of the HETT axles would be a big improvement, too.
If I still had access to those parts (at a very reasonable cost...*) I would have gone that route...
Sadly, those glory days of GL, 10 years ago - when one could buy such a beauty for little over base price - are long gone...
So far, the only one I could find offering those axles is Seco. Brand new yes, but at almost 9 grand each... (!)

*)
1706537420953.png
1706537667312.png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks