• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-37 doesn't start when it's warm

dsgsr4700

I have a 1953 M-37 that will not start back up after I have run it. Usually I have to wait until the next day, I have replaced the Coil, What's the problem? anyone. I'm going to sell it but I would like to get this problem resolved first. Photo's http://photobucket.com/albums/y254/dsgsr/

David

Franklin, Maine :nono:

Longhunter7

dsgsr,

I corrected the missing location in your signature! :nono:

It is requirement of this Forum!

You might check to see if the heat shield above the fuel pump is missing!

The heat from the exhaust manifold might be causing vapor lock! :devil:

dsgsr4700

Longhunter7 Thank you, I never thought of that. But I do think it's electrical because it started a while after I bought the rig and up until then it started fine. I did just put a new fuel pump on also, but did not see a heat shield but the problem was before that. I have ordered Points, Condensor & Rotor too try. I hope the problem isn't in the big Black Box on the Fire Wall :devil:

David

Elwenil

I agree with Longhunter. While I am not familiar with M37's specifically, what you describe is typical of a vehicle with vapor lock. Another thing that could be wrong is a malfunctioning ignition coil or condensor. They run fine until you shut it off, then they heat sink and won't run again until they cool off. Do the usual checks for spark and so forth to make sure it's not something as simple as a switch. A tune up is always a good idea too, so that may clear up a points/condensor problem. Check the battery also as sometimes they can overheat from overcharging and will not put out a decent amount of current to start the engine. The only other thing that comes to mind is a bad starter. Sometimes when they get hot, it saps all the juice to crank the engine and doesn't let the ignition system fire. Just my .10

Longhunter7

dsgsr,

Check your ignition power switch on the dash! You can crank the engine over with the switch off, and it won't start. The switch may be bad, and you may not be getting juice to the ignition! :skull: :devil:

dsgsr4700

I'm going to replace the points,condensor,rotor and plug wires today. If that doesn't fix it, I'll rebuild the starter. I have an older brother that was in the Army in '61 (heavy Equipment operator) and he agree's with Elwenil That it could very well be the starter. Gee, the more $$ I put into this the more I'll have to ask huh :yeah:

David

dsg

Well, $404. later in the ignition system and she's running like a top [thumbzup] . I didn't realize how expensive original parts were for this rig :shocked: Thanks for all the help folks.

David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks