• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 884 history

pah556

I saw a thread about an M 880 where someone traced down where that particular vehicle served its time, did he only use the vin number or was there something else to it?
I just bought an m 884 from 1977 and am interested in where they used it, the previous owner said something about pulling aircraft at a base in Belgium.
I have the vin number here (W24BE7S053102), but i'm not at home for the moment.
I will be tomorrow, there is a infoplate off some sort left in the cab if that's of any interest.
I live in Sweden and am from the Netherlands originally.
Thanks for any info.
I'll try to post a pic when I get home... of the car of course... rofl

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The SS member who does this goes by the handle "CARNAC" on this site.

He requests you donate to SS wqhen you receive the requested background for your vehicle.

Do a search for CARNAC posts and you will find it.

Wy-m880

Found mine while sanding down bumpers, of course not 100% accurate if its been replaced, but very helpful key point, i used 120 grit and took my time, then same for front bumper, made sure that no one stuck stray parts on like another bumper but 99% sure cause i got the same numbers on both, got 3 sets on numbers and documented, w/ pics just for my reference, very last place was Cheyenne, Wyoming as a National Guard truck, and they mostly just spray a flash of paint while it changed hands just to cover them, but mine had base coat forest green, then field drab base w/ woodland camo scheme, D@mn artic white that looked as if it was sprayed at 10psi "thick, chunky, orange peeled" then forest green w/woodland camo MERC'ed, i killed my orbital sander, and for several days my hands throbbed:cookoo:, do it over again ill pay extra to media blast it!![thumbzup]

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carnac can only tell the last Army unit that entered anything about it using the vin and reg #
Other option is to carefully sand down the front bumper, passenger side to reveal unit ID numbers.
Highly doubt that a M884 would have been used to pull aircraft.

pah556

Carnac can only tell the last Army unit that entered anything about it using the vin and reg #
Other option is to carefully sand down the front bumper, passenger side to reveal unit ID numbers.
Highly doubt that a M884 would have been used to pull aircraft.
I'm not sure about that aircraft pulling thing either, but there are some funny people over there in Belgium. Not if it was a US base, right now it's black (with a paint roller). Is/are the bumpers the only way to track down where it served? What is the plate for that is mounted in the cab near the ash tray? Starts with nomenclature or something like that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks