• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 alternator wiring problems

Joseph48

Hi i have a m1008 and I just put two new alternators and after putting both in and started to put cable on front battery there was smoke coming off a block next to the brake booster not sure what's wrong first time have a vehicle with 24v system

MarcusOReallyus

Not sure just regular 100amp alternators
There's your problem. The right one MUST be an isolated ground unit, or you get smoke. You won't get one from your regular parts house.

You can read about it here and here. There is also a lot of good info in the Helpful Threads sticky.

Now that you have smoked things, you'll have to find out what got damaged. It's likely you fried one or more of the fusible links, and you might have fried the alternator, too. You can read about testing it here. Again, you'll find a ton of info in the Helpful Threads.

Rebuilding the alternator is not a difficult job. Member TOW4 sells rebuild kits and can answer any questions you may have about it. He can guide you to what you need to make your unit into an isolated ground.

Took me about 45 minutes when I did it the first time, and I had never done one before.

Welcome aboard! (y)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks