• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 fuel tank sending unit / pickup

2deuce

My M1008's tank had a leak and was removed by a prior owner. The pickup/sending unit was lost. Is the M1009 unit the same or close enough to use? I have a M1009 parts rig with the tank still in it so I could pull it if it would work.
Thanks,
Greg

CCATLETT1984

different sending unit, but should be easy to get one from a junk yard. there is no in tank pump to worry about. the stock cucv tank is 25gallons, you can get a 31gallon for just a little more. I got a new tank for mine earlier this year

CCATLETT1984

there are three tank sizes. a 19, 25, and a 31 gallon. they all use the same sending unit. I have put 23gallons in to mine once before i put the new tank in. The shop told me it was a 25gallon, when in went to order the new tank since the old one rusted through.

From the condition of the straps and the brackets, I'm gonna say that my tank was original.

2deuce

So there is no difference between a gas and diesel other than the filler or is the sending/pickup different and I need a tank from a diesel truck? What did your new tank cost? I like the Idea of a 31 gal tank.

Thanks,
Greg

CCATLETT1984

yes, the diesel is a different setup from the gasser setup. I paid ~140 for my new tank including straps, and they had it next day :)
the 31gallon was only like $20 more, I kinda wish i had gotten it now that i think of it. if only for the extended range on road trips.

2deuce

Catlett,
Where did you get your tank? The JC Whitney site doesn't have the 31 gal tank or the diesel sending unit as far as I can tell.
Thanks,
Greg

CCATLETT1984

i got my tank from a local shop, they do radiators as well, call around its a new manufactured tank. Made in Canada of all places.

the cucv sending unit is the same as the civilian diesels, best bet is a junk yard.

captw

not sure why ccatlett1984 would say "Canada of all places", but anyway, the tanks are probably made in Quebec...they have been making these replacement tanks for some time...I have them in two of my trucks, perfect OEM replacement...W

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks