• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Plow Question

nyoffroad

A used plow from Craigslist should be pretty cheap even this time of year, between my son and I we have atleast 4 good serviceable plows for Chevy square bodies. Now a days nobody wants them and their not worth much more than scrap price.

cucvrus

DSCF6402 (1).jpg
A used plow from Craigslist should be pretty cheap even this time of year, between my son and I we have atleast 4 good serviceable plows for Chevy square bodies. Now a days nobody wants them and their not worth much more than scrap price.
I beg to differ. Many of the companies don't even make plows for these old trucks anymore. I have refurbished several and sold them. But I do agree if they are all rusted and missing parts they are scrap. I saved the front frame section from the Big Red M1008. It has a Western Pro mount on the frame. I wanted to keep it all so I just cut the frame off up front. Back 10 years ago I dropped my M1009 at a local Fisher plow dealer to have a plow installed. It sat there a week and they called and said the could not get a plow frame for it. They were discontinued. I looked and could not find one. I bought a Meyer frame and adapted a Western to fit the Meyer frame. I scrapped a few HD plow frames from 80's municipal trucks because they were rusted thru and broken. I used them as patterns to build a new frame. I wish I could have bought a new Fisher they had 3 year 0% financing at the time. Don't scrap your frames. Someone may need them. Good Luck. Happy Holidays

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
J... Thanks for the information! I might too go with the Western Pro Plow. Do you have a model number, kit number, source, Etc?

nyoffroad

Around here if you keep an eye out you buy a Western cable type for $500 or less, everybody wants a quick mount. The last truck I sold went with an 8.5' Western with extra pump, cylinders and some odd ball stuff and it had some rust but not bad. That would've been worth about $500 off the truck. I picked up a Myers for a couple hundred and cut it down and modified it for my tractor, the deals are out there (at least around NY).

FrankenCub

Around here if you keep an eye out you buy a Western cable type for $500 or less, everybody wants a quick mount. The last truck I sold went with an 8.5' Western with extra pump, cylinders and some odd ball stuff and it had some rust but not bad. That would've been worth about $500 off the truck. I picked up a Myers for a couple hundred and cut it down and modified it for my tractor, the deals are out there (at least around NY).
I've been watching Craigslist in the Binghamton area for a while and rarely see any truck side frames for these square bodies. Everything is for the newer trucks. I know where theres an 87 or so Chevy parked next to a garage with s plow, been there at least 15 years. Tree has fallen on the csb and crushed it. Can never get an answer at the door and have left a note on the door inquiring about it. No response.
Plenty of plows around, no frame mounts.

cucvrus

Yes they are hard to come by. And when you do find one it is basically junk. And as far as light weight plows. I bought a new Snowdog in 2011. It is very light weight but it still plows snow and does it without killing the 1/2 ton truck it is attached to. I wore out 2 cutting edges on it and this year I added the back drag cutting edge. The mold board is dented and worn. Even has a few holes in it. That comes from pushing truck chassis out of mud and snow. Most guys are poor at best at plowing snow. I used to be the same. The only way you get really good at plowing snow is being really bad and learning from your mistakes. I plowed snow with a CUCV for over 25 years. I graduated to newer trucks now. Big Red CUCV M1008 was the snow king. That truck pushed 40" of snow like a champ. Big Red has departed and this week I would like to send the remains to the scrap recycling center. But with 2 skids of bagged salt strapped in the bed it was unstoppable. When it connected to the black top it had U joint snapping traction. Happy Holidays. I have the Western Uni Mount plow truck side truck frame.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks