• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Rear Service Lighting Connector - Red Wire Purpose?

RedM1008Fire

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm working on reassembling my M1008 but there is 1 wire I can't chase down in the wiring diagrams. It is a red wire on the rear service lighting connector at the fuse block bulkhead in the engine bay. On my connector there are 7 total wires. 4 wires for the rear lights, 2 wires for the black out lights, and 1 red wire with a fusible link. The red wire is around 10-12 gauge, about 2 feet long, and looks like it connected to the positive (+) engine wiring harness block on the firewall. The wiring diagrams I attached do not show this wire. It is in the slot next to the brown/white wire for the blackout circuit (F-18).

Anyone know what this wire is for?

Attachments

RedM1008Fire

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picture of the bulkhead connector and end of wire sitting on inner fender. Both ends look factory. The red wire spade terminal inside the bulkhead connector matches the other terminals.

20200412_133529.jpg20200412_133520.jpg

cucvrus

I can look when I get home but I think that wire gets attached to the double studded 12 volt power point beside the inner side of master cylinder. The 10/24 stud. The hole looks too small for the 1/4' power stud that is on the same power point.

RedM1008Fire

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe you are correct that the wire connects to the power block on the firewall. I'm just not sure what it is for, everything seems to work without it connected. Is it relatively easy to remove the interior fuse block to trace the incoming wire?

cucvrus

You have a bolt in the center of the bulkhead connection under the hood. I think 10mm head. Remove that bolt and simply pull the connection. Under the dash board you have 2 5/16" headed lags holding the fuse block to the firewall. I don't think it is that hard to remove and check. I would just coil the red wire and secure it with some zip ties. Is it possible that you have a different taillamp harness? Do you have B/O lamps out back on the bumper? Check and report back. Thank you.

coecamo

I check in here from time to time. located this wire on my M1008 it does go to 12V junction Block
Nice to see another cucv in Michigan Gary

MarcusOReallyus

That's a fusible link. Something should not be working somewhere, so I suspect someone has been messing with your wiring.

It's possible the link blew, and someone disconnected it and rigged some other way to supply that circuit. I'd be looking for non-standard wiring in the fuse box area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks