• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 alt info

bassplayer88

Just a FYI on the m1009 100amp alt's .
I just had both 100amp alts checked prior to placing them into service .
These are just a few things that Kurt Abernathy , owner of Abernathy's Auto Electric, made me aware of that might just help a few folks on this site .

1) self regulating alts (Chevy,GM) can be upgraded to 200amps very easily.
2) The alt model on the M1009 matches the 100amp alt on 73-84ish, BIG V8 502+ Caddy's .. clocking , mounts . difference mil atl is heavier insulated material on the coil wiring and isolated ground . Isolated ground can be easily added to to the Caddy alt.

Kurt pulled a Caddy alt from the self and match them up . Mil had a larger Pos+ post. Then he discovered he had a Mil alt on the shelf . Asked him what price he wanted for it. $30 with a broke mounttab, still usable , 50 all "purdied up" .. He know's his stuff, good fair prices on work and rebuilds.

If interested here's his business info:

Abernathy's Auto Electric
121A New Town Rd
Calhoun, Ga 30701
706-629-0607

Hope this helps ....

rockspider

Good to know there are more swapping options.

I would be very interested to know which parts/mods are involved in upgrading output to 200 amps.
Is it possible for you to ask this specific question to Mr. Kurt and post here the details?
Thanks

n1vbn

I personally wouldn't upgrade to 200 amps. You need to provide the power to the alternator to generate 200 amps and in stock form the weak part is the v-belt drive. Every single class 8 truck I've driven has a minimum of 2 belts driving the alternator and their output averages 115 amps So you need to replace the pulley on the alternator. Not a big job in itself but now you need to add a pulley to the crankshaft for the second belt. It is part of the reason why the belts squeal when you first fire up. Like someone mentioned earlier it is better to let them run on high idle for a minute or two until the heavy load comes off the alternator. And just remember 95% of the running time of an alternator is under 15% of it's maximum rating amp wise. The S27-1 alternator for the CUCV series has a heavier battery post to better handle high curent, it needs to be twice it's size to safely handle 200 amps.

I will leave mine stock.