• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 axle swap from M1008

asendi

Hey guys, I just bought me an M1009 with 15k miles on it, really clean for the most part and found an axel set from the M1008. The outer casing on the axels need a little TLC but I know those things are solid so I don't think I should be too concerned. My question is are the axles a direct swap into the M1009 or does there need to be some work that goes into it? I want to keep the cost at a minimum and reuse as much Parts as possible.

Thanks

Last edited:

cucvrus

Keep the stock axles and costs can be kept at a bare minimum. But if you are compelled to do this swap you will need to move the rear spring perches and the shock mounts. But why? The loss of value in a converted 15K M1009 is not worth the effort. But NOT my truck comes to mind. I see $75, 000 trucks with lift kits horrible modifications and wonder why. That isn't just me. Do as you wish. I would talk you out of it, while others would say do it. CUCV Hot rodding is where this post belongs.

asendi

Hey guys, I just bought me an M1009 with 15k miles on it, really clean for the most part and found an axel set from the M1008. The outer casing on the axels need a little TLC but I know those things are solid so I don't think I should be too concerned. My question is are the axles a direct swap into the M1009 or does there need to be some work that goes into it? I want to keep the cost at a minimum and reuse as much Parts as possible.

Thanks
Keep the stock axles and costs can be kept at a bare minimum. But if you are compelled to do this swap you will need to move the rear spring perches and the shock mounts. But why? The loss of value in a converted 15K M1009 is not worth the effort. But NOT my truck comes to mind. I see $75, 000 trucks with lift kits horrible modifications and wonder why. That isn't just me. Do as you wish. I would talk you out of it, while others would say do it. CUCV Hot rodding is where this post belongs.
Well here's what I've been thinking. I have also purchased an M1008 (could be an M1028 but still waiting on the VIN to confirm) and would like the two trucks to share parts if need be. So I kind of strained the budget with the second truck, but figured it's not everyday I come across one of these where I am currently so I bit the bullet.
I could slightly offset the axle cost by selling the 10 bolt, assuming it's nothing more than a direct swap (which I read it was if it came out of an M1008) and I could keep the existing driveline and everything else. In addition I would like to eventually install 37s on it and from what I came across on various forums is that the 10 bolt would likely give out.

I'll post pictures of the axles as soon as I can. Appreciate the input.

ssdvc

Well here's what I've been thinking. I have also purchased an M1008 (could be an M1028 but still waiting on the VIN to confirm) and would like the two trucks to share parts if need be. So I kind of strained the budget with the second truck, but figured it's not everyday I come across one of these where I am currently so I bit the bullet.
I could slightly offset the axle cost by selling the 10 bolt, assuming it's nothing more than a direct swap (which I read it was if it came out of an M1008) and I could keep the existing driveline and everything else. In addition I would like to eventually install 37s on it and from what I came across on various forums is that the 10 bolt would likely give out.

Yup, it's your truck, so do as you wish. 37's will require a decent lift and possibly other mods. That = $$$. Like CUCVRUS said, keep it stock, keep it simple. You could probably sell the heavier diff's for some decent money (depending on condition) and use that money to make your 09 better (maybe a nice set of 33's, which may fit without any mods, depending on the tire). Just sayin.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter

If you're thinking of running the hmmv tires and rims I'd assume you've never tried to get a hmmv up over 50 mph....there's a reason they suck goin fast...tires are tough as nails so the ride is horrific...made more than a few scrambled brains in one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks