• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Axle swap

60scout

I've got an 85 M1009, I lifted it, swapped axles with an 82 3/4T chevy. Mounted 37"oz on 24b hummer rims. I went to add brake line extensions and realized that it has a different connection on the caliper than what it should have for an 82. Rear diff is a GM5, upon searching the only gm front I can find info on with matching gear ratio (3.89) is a transaxle which has me really confused about what exactly I have and where it came from. I can't even find what year models came with gm5 axles let alone what it would've came matched with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may need to go back and review the ratios. 3.89 wasn't offered (as far as I know) in the 10 bolt. Bottom line as far as calipers go is to use the originals. They will bolt right on.

60scout

You may need to go back and review the ratios. 3.89 wasn't offered (as far as I know) in the 10 bolt. Bottom line as far as calipers go is to use the originals. They will bolt right on.

The rear diff is 14 bolt with GM5 on it which is 3.89. Now the front I have no clue, I think FW4 has 3.89 but is listed as a transaxle.

camoyj7

Most gm 14 bolts came with 3.73, 4.10 or 4.56 gears. 4.10 seems to be the most common that i've seen. I have never seen 3.89 in a 14 bolt. Nice looking truck though.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Disregard the GM5. Open up the covers and get the tooth count off the gears. Here is what we do know. 14 bolt SF rear and 10 bolt front. You won't know what's inside until you open them up.

60scout

Disregard the GM5. Open up the covers and get the tooth count off the gears. Here is what we do know. 14 bolt SF rear and 10 bolt front. You won't know what's inside until you open them up.
Thanks guys I appreciate the insight, I was afraid i was

Attachments

wcuhillbilly

Looks like gm 10 bolt front, rear, i cant tell untill i get back to my coputor in the morning. How many lugs , 10 bolt will have 5 (early) 6 (later) 10 bolts are called such by having a round diff cover with 10 bolts, they can be rear or front. Gm ran a 12 bolt trucke rear that had 6 lugs. 14 bolt is easy, 14 bolts on diff cover and a bolt on pinion gear snout, 8 lugs and usually big hubs except semi float which were flat like a half ton. Like others have said pull the covers an find the numbers, divide the larger by the smaller to get approx ratio. Tags can lie. My tag says 4:10 but i swapped in 3:73. Randys ring and pinion has a good gear calculator for tire/trans/aio keep you in a good rpm. Good luck

wcuhillbilly

Ok,,, Looked at your pics on a full size computor screen instead of my 2" phone. You have a 10 bolt front with 8 lugs, this was used in the later 80s on the 3/4 ton trucks. Likely you have 3:73 or 4:10 ratio. SO DO NOT PUT IT IN 4X4 untill the ratios are confirmed the same. (ok thats my disclaimer) Now back to the meat and taters. The rear is a semi floater (SF) 14 bolt that is differant than the commonly refered to 14b. The semi uses a 9.5" ring gear and the common "full floater" (FF) uses a 10.5 ring gear. Easiest way to clean up the rear is to find a FF 14 and swap it in. as there are thousands in farm trucks and junk yards nationwide. Otherwise, ordering parts for the SF 14b will always be a bastard child. your not going to kill it as I will stand up to alot of abuse, but parts, lockers/ etc will always be a special order and $$$.

Now,,, the front.. You will likely have to take the end of the brake hose that hooks to the caliper and drill it out, the reason is that when moving from half ton to 3/4 ton the banjo bolt diameter increases. I have had to do this for years on the bastard truck I have as the lines were for a 2wd and I put a 3/4 ton axle under it, then put a 1 ton dana 60. Dont worry about drilling out the center bolt hole, your not taking anything major out, and pump a little fluid through to make sure its cleaned out...... If you choose not to drill, you will be making plenty trips to the parts house to match up a hose that will work... Just remember that you mating to a late 80s 3/4 ton GM front 7" caliper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks