• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Engine Troubleshooting

ewasteel41

85 M1009: approx 49k original miles; was told by seller that a recruit sprayed ether into the intake for cold starting, consequently blowing a part (rocker arm?) through the valve cover. Previous owner patched valve cover and kept driving the rig around his ranch while engine running rough -- he said it needed a new valve --- (suspect cylinder is the forward most passenger side). Since I purchased the rig, I have driven it sparingly just to move around and it sounds like it may be running on 7 cylinders. Did a power/balance check, cracking injectors one by one and got good RPM drop on ALL cylinders... (could it still be firing good on a cylinder with a broken valve?) So, next thing i noticed was oil dipstick shows WAY over - full and appears diesel fuel is in the crankcase -- oil looks "clear-ish". Anyone offer suggestions as to where to go from here? I am contemplating pulling the right side head to have a look see, with in mind having that head serviced or replaced. With that though, I am thinking this may easily turn into having to replace that piston as well. Can a piston be R&R'd with engine in vehicle? Also, a compression test would likely indicate what's up... Any offerings greatly appreciated. It's such a clean stock military rig w/no alterations that I hate to see it go to waste. Thanks.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start with the compression test. Then remove the head to have a look see. That will deside the rest repairs.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm wondering if it could be as simple as a stuck(open) injector.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DH that is a real possibility. Also by removing the valve cover will give some clues to the valves and valve train components.

ewasteel41

M1009 Thanks to you all!

Start with the compression test. Then remove the head to have a look see. That will deside the rest repairs.
Thanks for replying. Think I'll follow your advice and do compression test after changing oil (fuel!) /filter and removing all the glow plugs. I am reluctant to fire it up and warm up before comprssn test but probly will if it means for valid compression readings. I'll post any metal souvies I find in the oil pan! So... from other replies, sounds it's poss it could just be a stuck open injector? Would that allow a cylinder to still fire? -- as was the case when I did the power/bal chk.. Also, stuck open injectr would cause diesel to accumulate in oil pan/crankcase..? Thanks again for anything else you can come up with. I will post pics asap

ewasteel41

If something went throughh the vale cover, you hould know which one it is!

Exactly! Someone brazed a metal scab-patch on top the valve cvr over the cylinder that went KA-POP! I'll open'er up and hope for no big surprises... incidently, any way i can maybe find a blow-up or at least larger scale of your avatar?? It's a welcome distraction to all this mechanix stuff.. Thanks for your reply!

ewasteel41

Great thought! I'll look up the lift pump in the TM's -- not sure how to properly test but glad you thought of it. Wonder the odds of clues like that making life so much simpler? It would be one of those "coincidences', nevertheless should def be checked out. Thanks for thinking of the "obvious" -- UN-obvious things so easily overlooked in troubleshooting! Good mechanics must be good investigators too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks