• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Flywheel Rubbing

rgguin

I am looking to buy my first M1009. I am new to the M1009, since I have been restoring WWII jeeps for the last five years. The one I am looking at has a rebuilt motor put in before it was released from the Army. The problem is the flywheel rubs the transmission cover, but with the cover off everything seems balanced and normal. You can see where the fly wheel grooved into the cover. what do you think is the problem? cracked flyweel, flexplate problem, bolted incorrectly? Is this a common problem? Would you drive it with the cover off 90 miles just to get it home? The vehicle drives OK. Also, has a charging problem. Right generator light will not come on, but bulb and alternator check OK.

Thanks in advance of any help for this newbee to the M1009. :lol:

Westech

CPL
hmm thats not good at all. something is a miss here. Wrong flywheel I would guess, or maybe cover. But 90 miles with out one alt charging?? Umm trailer it man, trust me its going to suck alot when your on the side of the road and no power in the batts. also get the fly wheel checked out... it would be a realy pain to cut the bellhousing in half.

I'm assuming by "right generator light" you mean the Gen 2? Does your Voltage meter (if there is one) work? If not it could be the fuse. My 1008 acted like that when I got it. There's a fuse at the 9 o'clock position of the bottom-right flasher in the fuse panel. It's marked "28v". Hopefully it's as simple as that. I agree with everyone here about electrical problems. Yuck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks