• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 fuel pump

jimm1009

I went on line last night to one of those web sites that has a GM mechanic
that is available for questions.

I was told that the engine driven fuel pump is supposed to have 7 to 11 PSI output @ idle.
Does anyone know if this is true?
I can't find a reference for that in the -34 TM or in the Chevy factory manual
so I am not sure.
I am troubleshooting white smoke with a properly timed injection pump and new filter. I had much more smoke before I change the filter but still have some and the pressure being too low will also cause white smoke but I can not find the reference for minimum pressure into the intake line for the injection pump.
I have 4 PSI @ idle with some white smoke. The pressure actually drops from idle to about 2 PSI @ around 1200 RPMs estimated.

As a side question, has anyone opted for an auxiliary electric pump and has this helped your CUCV? If so, do you still have info on the pump?

Jim

Ken_86gt

From the TM:
Step 6. Check fuel pump operation. Disconnect input fuel line at the fuel filter. Disconnect
pink lead from fuel injector pump. Use a quart capacity container, and crank
engine for 15 seconds. Container should be at least ¼ full or contain ½ pt (0.231)
of fuel. Install low pressure gage in fuel line. Crank engine for 15 more seconds.
Fuel pressure should be 5.5-6.5 psi (38-45 kPa). Reconnect fuel inlet line to fuel
filter, and reconnect pink lead to fuel injector pump.
If fuel flow is insufficient, replace fuel pump. (See paragraph 3-10)

The reality is that you can frequently run the truck without a lift pump at all- the injector pump will suck fuel just fine without it. But you will also suck air if there are any leaks.

I installed Buy Mr. Gasket Electric Fuel Pump Diesel 12D at Advance Auto Parts and it hasn't failed me yet. It's pushes 7 PSI and works perfectly on my 1009. The reviews aren't great on the web site but mine has lasted for 18+ months with no issue. I ran new lines to the tank, parallel to the stock lines just in case the pump were to fail. If it fails, I will just disconnect the electric pump lines and pop on the stock lines and continue mission.

*edit* The pump is mounted on the frame rail just behind the alternators. It only runs when the ignition is on.

Attachments

Last edited:

GPrez

I installed Buy Mr. Gasket Electric Fuel Pump Diesel 12D at Advance Auto Parts and it hasn't failed me yet. It's pushes 7 PSI and works perfectly on my 1009. The reviews aren't great on the web site but mine has lasted for 18+ months with no issue. I ran new lines to the tank, parallel to the stock lines just in case the pump were to fail. If it fails, I will just disconnect the electric pump lines and pop on the stock lines and continue mission.

*edit* The pump is mounted on the frame rail just behind the alternators. It only runs when the ignition is on.
+1. I have been using the same electric pump on mine for 2-years and no issues. Not sure why the people who leave those reviews were having trouble. When my mechanical pump stopped working I bought a replacement, but it wouldn't pump fuel either. I think the lobe that operates the ear on the mechanical pump wore down.

isaacucv

I installed one from a 1990 Chevy with a 6.2. So far so good. I installed it on the frame where the rubber fuel line is. I just took the cover plate off and removed the stock 3/8 rubber line and plumbed the pump with a filter right there. It works great and saves all the cranking on the starter when trying to prime the system. I was in the same boat, I replaced my mechanical pump and it wouldn't pump fuel. I also did the spin on fuel filter mod, it was easy and more reliable.

ADKM1009

For those that have done this, where/how did you get the keyed power for the positive wire? Also, what fittings do I need to connect/couple the fuel line where the old mechanical fuel pump is once I remove it and replace it with a blanking plate? Thanks. Not where mine is right now and I need to order everything in one go. It is up in the Adirondacks and dashing out to the parts store isn’t super easy up here, so I try to order everything I need for any given project in advance.

MarcusOReallyus

Hey, let's not hijack the OP's thread. This is about the correct output for the stock pump.

jimm, just within the last week or two I read a post from cucvrus (The Grandmaster of CUCVs) and he pointed out that there is a pump that is physically compatible but will not supply enough fuel because the actuator arm is wrong.

If you can find that post it might answer your question.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks