• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 making me deaf !!

Roycegriffon

I got my wife to drive a M1009 instead of a Land Rover Discovery(she was gettin a little spoiled). Its pretty rough for her (toughen her up a little), but the biggest problem is not the smoke, smell, bouncyness, lack of creature comforts of other modern cars, but it is the noise and rumble of the engine and tires on the pavement. Here is what has been done in this dept:
1.Undercoat with 3M bodyschutz-Amazing stuff
2.some insulated floor mats (I,ve seen the vinyl mat, but it seems thin)
3. Intake resonator
4. silverdollar the outside of the roof for the antibaking in the summer(it helped a little) looks like the new toyota roofs
5.learn the "lean-shout" maneuver

Ideas for further noise reduction:
1. softer motor mounts- cant find any though

2. maby exhaust wrap.When I stand under the vehicle while it is running, the exhaust pipe from the manifold to the muffler is VERY loud despite the fact it is in excellent shape

3. some kind of Dyna-mat on the floors, in the doors, under hood, in fenders. Looking for something less expensive than thet though; hopefully something Home Depot'ish

4.fill the back (behind the rear seat)with foam peanuts and wear AM/FM radio earmuffs.

I have searched the forum for this topic before I inquired so as not to beat a dead deaf horse. Any tips or suggestions?

CCATLETT1984

softer motor mounts will do BAD things to your engine, dont change them.

exhaust wrap will do nothing about the noise, it will just keep the heat inside the pipe.

if its a rumble almost a harmonic noise, change your mufflers. flowmasters have a horrible tendicy to drone. you may have leaks at the exhaust donuts where the pipe meets the manifolds.

you want mufflers that have fiberglass fill. also up sizing the exhaust to 2.5" or 3" dual exhaust would help with the noise, where does your exhaust exit the truck? should be on the sides to the rear of the rear axle.

as for the sound deadening, search on google for "fatmat" its a generic dynomat. way cheaper. you will want to cover the inside of the firewall, including up under the dash. I would also do the doors behind the plastic panels, and the kickpanels. do the floor all the way to the rear of the front seats and see if that helps.

simply putting carpet on the floor will quiet it down a lot, since the carpet absorbs the sounds instead of reflecting them.

a hood insulation kit might help somewhat with the noise, but I'm not sure how that would affect the engine if the outside temp gets hot.

acetomatoco

A lot of the noise is attributable to the air cleaner... be sure you have the gasket between it and the manifold and the gaskets under the wing nuts. Also use the stock air cleaner element with the outer wrap. Tighten the snot out of the wing nuts and be sure the cleaner is recessed in the slot. Then get one of the snouts that goes on the air intake from a civvy truck and route the intake down toward the right fender well....really cuts down on the noise My M1008 is quiet and a pleasure to drive...

mangus580

I did not notice any improvement when I put my hood insulation in. Believe it or not, It seems quieter though, when the grill cover is on.

I agree wtih CC. You need to look at the exhaust system. I used to run glasspacks on my civvy pickup. It turned out to be AWEFUL when snow plowing, or driving with the back window open. It was just too loud. A set of stock mufflers made a BIG difference.

If you look at LMC Truck, or JCWhitney, you should be able to find an insulated floormat/carpet. This will cut down on TONS of road noise.

Be careful trying to cut down too much noise in the air cleaner... You are cutting down on air-flow, which is going to hurt your mileage, and performance.

Dieselsmoke

Roycegriffon said:
but the biggest problem is not the smoke, smell, bouncyness,
Smoke? Smoke? None of mine have ever had any kind of smoke.
Smell? Air fresheners?
Bounciness???

When I stand under the vehicle while it is running,
You must be really short :lol:

85-m1028

Get some of that expanding foam in a can and fill the roof and A pillars. There are some plugs in the roof behind the visors. I think installing an H pipe in your exhuast will help balnce out the exhaust pulses and dampen some of the drone.

I think a turbo does alot to "dedrone" the engine..