• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Military winch setup?

Realbryanrule

Hey guys, I recently purchased an m1009 that I believe was stationed in Alaska it has the arctic setup. I have been reading a ton of great info here on the site and have finished a spin on fuel filter mod as my box filter was plagued with leaks. I just rebuilt a dead alternator, I've removed the interior for some rust repair, added a cd player/ speakers among other things all thanks to the info found right here!

My question is about the winch setup on these trucks, if the military happened to put one on how would they have done it and is there a place to get a hold of the hardware for mounting? I picked up a Warn #18 but I cannot seem to find a picture or info on how it would have been mounted "originally".

From what I have gathered any given truck may or may not have had a winch but if it did I would like to see how it was done?

Thanks IMG_1512.jpg

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I know the M1009s never had winches mounted on them. That is not to say it has not been done, but I have never seen any that were issued with a winch.

blueblaze

every time Ive seen them up at govt auctions with winches, they usually just had the old school warn winch bumpers or some massive tread plate custom made bumper that was done by someone on base or local I assume. other then that the above posted one by petersens is pretty mint, or what most people do is the removable one, with the winch mounted on a plate and locked onto the factory tow shackles.

Realbryanrule

Thanks you guys, I thought for sure I read on one of the threads that some were fitted with the warn 18. But anyway thanks for the responses. That is a great build @jozseph now the loaded question how strong do you think the setup is? It's by far the best looking but I sure would hate to tear off parts.