• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 starter problems

empready

Please help. My mechanic put a new starter and flywheel on my m1009 (6.2). I found the bracket online (part # 14028931). However, that bracket did not fit and research led us to conclude that it was for the 6.5 starter. The local Chevy dealership had the bracket suggested for the 6.2 (part# 23502557). That bracket did not fit either and so the mechanic made one to fit. Everything worked great until the entire starter casing cracked into five pieces. I'm at a complete loss. Does anyone know the correct part #s for the starter and starter bracket for a 1985 m1009 with the 6.2? Or is there something else that I'm missing altogether? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did not say which starter you have (had). The old style direct drive or the new style gear reduction. Different brackets for the different starters.

GM 15544950 - Starter Bolt
GM 14060613 - Starter Bracket to Block Bolt - M8 x 1.25 x 20 (hardware store)
GM 14028931 - Starter Bracket - old style Direct Drive starter
GM 23502557 - Starter Bracket - new style Gear Reduction starter

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks