• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 starter still sticking

House56

okay guys im at a total loss here so any suggestions or help are greatly appreciated.

so my starter relay stuck causing a huge meltdown in my m1009. I replaced all fried fuse links, installed a new 24V starter, and I did the doghead relay mod. put a full charge on my batteries turned the key over, let my glow plugs cycle, then attempted to start it and unfortunately the starter continued to crank once again until I turned the key off. I tried it a total of three times and had the same result. starter continued to crank until I turned the key in the off position. thank you in advance to anyone that can help me solve this problem im having

cucvrus

Have you checked the starter engagement? If the gear gets into the ring gear too hard it could get stuck out there. If it can't retract it can't disengage. It could require a shim. Is the rear support bracket in place? This is hard to diagnose from afar. I never did any relay replacements or cut my harness and seldom have any issues if everything is as designed and all shimmed and tight as it is supposed to be. Have you had the starter to a competent starter repair shop. Not Bubba's work bench. Many issues come from hacking and not doing things correctly. Just saying. I see these repairs all the time on vehicles. Good Luck again. Be Safe.

edpdx

Have you checked the starter engagement? If the gear gets into the ring gear too hard it could get stuck out there. If it can't retract it can't disengage. It could require a shim. Is the rear support bracket in place? This is hard to diagnose from afar. I never did any relay replacements or cut my harness and seldom have any issues if everything is as designed and all shimmed and tight as it is supposed to be. Have you had the starter to a competent starter repair shop. Not Bubba's work bench. Many issues come from hacking and not doing things correctly. Just saying. I see these repairs all the time on vehicles. Good Luck again. Be Safe.
Second this. My audit trail here regarding my starter woes is long. I finally realized that all the starters I put in to fix the same problem had stamped into them NOT to SHIM. Then I read that rebuilders of these starters often mill the mating deck to freshen the rebuild. The starter may be ok if the rebuild does not include milling, but I just went with the "Do Not SHIM" warning. The last starter I bought actually included a shim- I used it an no more starter troubles.

Could work for you. Good luck.

edpdx

Thought I'd share: I used battery cable and insulated wire that matches the purple wire to the starter solenoid. Essentially, these are leads to the starter solenoid that terminate under the vehicle using appropriate sized Anderson Connectors. The purple cable from under the dash connects to the "purple" lead via matching Anderson connector. The Battery cable lead to the solenoid connects to the battery lead via an Anderson connector near the lift pump. This makes changing out the starter- or verifying loose solenoid connections way easier. I can easily tighten the leads to the starter, drag it under and put it in place with only the support bracket to deal with below. The "extra" length of purple is spooled and zip-tied out of the way. Then, from above I plug in the battery cable connectors and strap them in place. I find this easier than chancing over/under tightening the connection while on my backed and cramped for space.
Another tip: Use 1590444248599.png or 1590444309899.png with thread locker to make it easy to secure the Bracket and Purple wire to the solenoid. Tiny, thin nuts have a tendency to strip out easy if too snug.

Makes my starter troubles light. YMMV :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks