• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Starting issue

hrt119

I have an 86 M1009, have had it a couple of months. Started having issues getting it fired when cold. Had a runaway starter a few weeks ago, as a result completed the Doghead mod for starter relay and replaced the starter and batteries. This weekend i replaced all of the glowplugs with new Delco 13G's. Everything looks normal at startup, i get the wait light, cranks nice and fast, but it seems like its not getting fuel to fire, no smoke at tailpipe until it finally fires. If i get it going, it runs great, plenty of power, very driveable and will restart every time after that, for a while anyway. If i let it sit for several hours, doesn't want to start again. I ordered a new fuel filter, it is the stock one right now. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting? Thanks

hrt119

I have an 86 M1009, have had it a couple of months. Started having issues getting it fired when cold. Had a runaway starter a few weeks ago, as a result completed the Doghead mod for starter relay and replaced the starter and batteries. This weekend i replaced all of the glowplugs with new Delco 13G's. Everything looks normal at startup, i get the wait light, cranks nice and fast, but it seems like its not getting fuel to fire, no smoke at tailpipe until it finally fires. If i get it going, it runs great, plenty of power, very driveable and will restart every time after that, for a while anyway. If i let it sit for several hours, doesn't want to start again. I ordered a new fuel filter, it is the stock one right now. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting? Thanks
If anyone knows of a good diesel mechanic in the Fredericksburg, Va area, I'd be happy to give them some business

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone knows of a good diesel mechanic in the Fredericksburg, Va area, I'd be happy to give them some business
You're losing your fuel prime as you stated. Get a flashlight and look closely at all your return fuel line hoses. If you find any wet return fuel lines, replace them. Check all your fuel lines and replace any that are old, rotted, or leaking. Check in the valley under your manifold for any wet leaking fuel. You might have an injection pump that is leaking.

hrt119

You're losing your fuel prime as you stated. Get a flashlight and look closely at all your return fuel line hoses. If you find any wet return fuel lines, replace them. Check all your fuel lines and replace any that are old, rotted, or leaking. Check in the valley under your manifold for any wet leaking fuel. You might have an injection pump that is leaking.
thanks,,, i will get under there and look today, thank you

ssdvc

Yup, check ALL of your fuel lines, supply AND return. Had the same problem not too long ago and it wound up being a tiny nick in my return line. Fixed it and now she will fire up with zero issues.

2INSANE

Just made this video to show others how vital it is to install a clear hose running between injection pump return and hardline return. Doing this mod will help save time and money on 50% of the hard start issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks