• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 suspension question

hensley15

Hi Guys , I have a 86 M1009 with a 6" lift i need to replace all the tie rods, i went to Auto-zone to buy the parts and they told be stock Blazer parts wont work on my rig lol wanted moog is this tru ? also my steering arm is Hitting my axle when i turn right ugh can figure out how to fix that issue , Thanks in advance for your help

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
84 Blazer parts will fit. When shopping for parts, don't tell the person it's military. I'd like to see a pic of the contact, sounds odd.

welpro222

post pictures, so we can see kind of mods were made.

The only change in steering with a lift is the raised steering arm. The rest should be stock gm 10 bolt, unless some mods were made (crossover steering?)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. Are you sure the arm is hitting the housing? Looks like maybe but the drag link is also way out of adjustment. It needs to be extended substantially.

hensley15

Interesting. Are you sure the arm is hitting the housing? Looks like maybe but the drag link is also way out of adjustment. It needs to be extended substantially.
I took it in to get a Alignment they said it was hitting but i was unsure they said my steering is of 180 and i should replace all my tie rods cause there was no more adjustment available on my old rods

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, before you go out and spend a bunch of money, try this. The drag link is the link that goes from the steering arm to the pitman arm on the steering box. Loosen the 2 clamps on that link. You will have to spread that split a bit but one way or the other you need to turn that and extend it out a bit. It looks plenty closed up to me. I'm certain you can get another inch out of that then test it out. Crossover is another good option but it's not a cheap ordeal.

hensley15

OK, before you go out and spend a bunch of money, try this. The drag link is the link that goes from the steering arm to the pitman arm on the steering box. Loosen the 2 clamps on that link. You will have to spread that split a bit but one way or the other you need to turn that and extend it out a bit. It looks plenty closed up to me. I'm certain you can get another inch out of that then test it out. Crossover is another good option but it's not a cheap ordeal.
Thanks !!! I will go and try that out

richingalveston

I second the drag link adjustment but your steering arm may not be raised enough. I believe the stock front axle only had 3 leafs. you have 6 or 7 so the spring pack is much thicker thus your arm is not tall enough. Maybe the arm they put on was for a 3 to 4 inch lift.

With that lift you should consider the best fix and do cross over steering

hensley15

I second the drag link adjustment but your steering arm may not be raised enough. I believe the stock front axle only had 3 leafs. you have 6 or 7 so the spring pack is much thicker thus your arm is not tall enough. Maybe the arm they put on was for a 3 to 4 inch lift.

With that lift you should consider the best fix and do cross over steering
Thanks for the reply i was just looking up Cross over steering it looks difficult and pricey but well worth it lol most kits look to be for the Dana 60

Barrman

When you adjust the drag link, you will change the orientation of the steering wheel to straight ahead driving. Do you by chance have your blinkers turn off coming out of a turn in one direction fast and never turn off when coming out of a turn in the other direction?

cucvrus

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/D44CrossoverAndHighSteerKits.htm

this kit plus a two wheel drive box.

It will fix all of your problems even the ones you do not know you have yet.

rich
WOW for that price they should send 2 technicians to install it and align the front end. Then when you can't get it to pass state inspection they should buy the vehicle back at market value. That is a lot of money and is only the tip of the iceberg once you start down that road.. To each his own.

richingalveston

The price you pay to make good mods work.
I think the problem is that a stock drag link will never work with 6 inch lift. There is not enough adjustment.
I believe it will take a new, longer drag link and the right steering arm.

being that the truck will only turn 1/3 of the stock radius, something will have to be done to pass inspection.
I live in a state where cross over will not affect your inspection. With a 6 inch lift it is more dangerous to not have cross over. The geometry from steering box to steering arm is terrible on the stock set up and made much worse by a lift.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think long term if you can. I got the 2WD steering box + frame brace (both bolt $ weld-on) + crossover + high steer + pitman arm. Now I want to install hydrostatic steering so did not need to spend all that $$ :(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks