• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Transmission not upshifting

Mike_Pop

I recently purchased an M1009 and have driven it for about 2,500 miles
with no problems. All of a sudden today, I heard a whining noise and
then the transmission started slipping. The whining noise sounded more like a fan belt and got louder at higher rpm's. I inspected the belts and found no problems. After about 15 miles of driving, the transmission started slipping. At first, it wouldn't upshift
into 3rd gear. Now it is not shifting into 2nd and slipping in 1st.
I checked the fluid level and it was good but the fluid smelled ever so slightly burned.

Any suggestiosns?

Thanks!

Mike Pop

gasser

Well, with the fluid smelling burnt, I am pretty sure the fluid is loosing or lost it's functionality. At this stage I would recommend dropping the pan, go with a new filter, changing all the fluid and flushing the torque converter, replacing with new fluid and a can of TransX. However, I am not sure how long it will last now as the clutch packs may have lost its "grip". Which from there I think the only solution is a moderate rebuild. I dont think any adjustments will help, as what you have described is a gradually failing transmission and not a mis-adjustment.

HTH, and good luck!!!

-graham

gasser

BTW - what I have described above has been my experiences with the turbo-hydra 350 and 400's (obviously the latter is what we have in the CUCVs).
Maybe someone else can chime in with better news and insight ....

Also, see about putting in an external trans cooler as the main reason of the burnt is because it overheated (you may have already caught on that fact).

Again, good luck Mike!

-graham

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks