• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Transmission Questions

cucvrus

The line means nothing. Put the pan back on seal it up and give things a whirl. I would opt to get the transmission overhauled if I had it out and found the issues you found. But that is me. Light black dirt and sediment is normal in an automatic. Finding metal pieces stuck to the magnet is not normal if they are any larger than sediment. Good Luck and Happy New Year.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The million dollar question. How would you see the line if the pan is bolted in-place?
Oh that is simple, once you get the transmission fluid in to where you think the right level is, you carefully drop the pan so you don't spill any fluid, inspect the gauge line and reinstall the pan. Brilliant yeah?

cucvmule

collector of stuff
The inspection cover does help with structural stability and shall be bolted with the correct metric bolts.

As far as the strut braces that go from the inspection cover to the motor mount frame brackets they are not bolted on the CUCV for whatever reasoning, lighter T case 208 perhaps but why they are not on the 205 is anyone's guess.

However they are bolted onto every civilian K Model 4 wheel drive truck 81-87 from GM, and up to 1991 on models that retain the "square body" shape, K5 and K30 Crewcab, and Suburbans. The civilian transfer case to the engine bellhousing has one also, that are prone to shearing the bolt from the T case to transmission, at the transmission from stress also. And do not replace bolt with a higher grade bolt as instead of the bolt shearing at the trans, block will crack at bolt hole or break the block casting.

I had one 454 block that was the recipient of such a "repair", but that was with a 205 T case. The trans was welded and saved. And I have another CUCV 400 that broke in half at the T- case adapter that had a 208 bolted to it.

The 400 is a very good transmission and every one that I have seen in cars have not had the problems associated with K model trucks. And I have K30 400's in 454+ci Monte Carlo's with the bolt on pan and shield for the xtra rigidity.

Believe it or not, your choice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks