• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Transmission Solenoid

tgtaylor64

My M1009 will not down shift under load. Vacuum lines replaced and checked the resistance of the accelerator shift switch (goes from infinity to 0 ohms at full throttle). I now want to check/replace the solenoid on the drivers side of the transmission. Do you just remove the orange wire and screw is out? Is this an expensive part? Tips?

chevymike

Check the wire at the trans to make sure when you have the pedal switch under the dash engaged, you have 12 volts at the plug. If you are getting 12 volts at the plug, then something is wrong with the kick down switch inside the trans. Could be a wire came loose or something more but verify you get the 12 volts first.

IIRC the connector on the outside of the trans is just a pass thru for the wire connection. It actually connects to something inside the trans. You have to drop the pan to get to the real switch connection.

Good luck.

raiburn

I replaced mine. You have to remove the tranny pan to get to it.
I do not remember the price, I think it was cheap and readily available.
It is called "Transmission Control Solenoid". The parts guy will try to give you one for a 700r4 "4-speed". Tell him you have a 3-speed. Joe.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chapter 5-7 of the TM 9-2320-289-34 technical manual covers the replacement of the solenoid.

I would check for a broken wire or loose connection first.

Napa is show part number ECH TKS100 - $26.49 This is for the TH-400 tranny

Or Oreilly's - BWD S636 - $22.99

GM part# 8629935 from the TM 9-2320-289-34p

Attachments

Last edited:

tgtaylor64

Found out the accelerator was not moving the kick-down switch far enough. Everything worked fine when I jumped the two leads together. Now to adjust the switch.

Dezarms

My M1009 will not down shift under load. Vacuum lines replaced and checked the resistance of the accelerator shift switch (goes from infinity to 0 ohms at full throttle). I now want to check/replace the solenoid on the drivers side of the transmission. Do you just remove the orange wire and screw is out? Is this an expensive part? Tips?
What would voltage be at kick down solenoid on a hummv with 3 speed trans?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks