• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 with 100,000+

rfischba1

Just realized the M1009 I won has 104800 miles on it, Thought it has 48,000.
It started right up, and ran great, nice smooth idle, drove areond GL lot everything works and sounds fine. Do you all think this mileage is ok for this type of truck? What is the average miles on the blazers? I noticed they tend to have higher miles that the PU's. Any issues on a truck with 100,000 +.\

Or am I worring to soon?

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck runs well, that is the only thing that matters. A friend of Joe Young's has over 275K miles on his M1009. I don't know about getting that kind of miles out of an M1009, but it should be good for years to come if you take care of it. It might be that your truck ran better than the others so it was driven the most.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first thing besides service that I'd be looking to do is change the harmonic balancer. These can shift and destroy a 6.2 crankshaft. Other than that I have no problems getting 300,000 out of a 6.2. The 400 turbo is hearty too. I'd say the weakest part of the truck is the body.

Alredneck

Banned
The pics of your motor were really clean lookin, if it looks to clean on closer inspection it may not be the original, but on the other hand civy 6.2s have been known to go quite a long ways so why not yours if you take care of it.

CCATLETT1984

rfischba1 said:
What is the harmonic balancer, what does that cost?
Its the part bolted to the front of the crankshaft, just behind the crank pulley. Its metal with bonded rubber and then an outer ring of metal.

Fluid damper is making a fluid filled one now, but i wouldnt waste the money on it, unless your putting a new engine together. Your local auto shop should be able to give you a price on the part.

84cucv1ton

A friend to my family has had his m1009 since 2000. 317k and still going strong, has just about no rust either. coats the truck with fluid film. great stuff

JB

Are you sure it is not 4800 miles? My 84 m1009 had a little over 3000 miles on it when I got it @ 10 years ago. It ran like new when I go it. My Dad suggested that may have been war reserve up until the first gulf war got going.

rfischba1

That would be real nice if it has only 4800, as you can see from the pictures the trucks overall condition shows some age. I will know more once I take it off the GL lot and test drive it on aa open road. When the odometer rols over 100,000 does the first diget return to zero on a 5 diget odometer?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of these trucks have more mileage that we want to believe. Don't ever trust the odometer. There are more important indicators of wear than mileage or hours. Check the seats, the brake pedal, the door hinges, how the truck runs, the condition of the exhaust, etc. I had an M1028 with only 6,800 miles on it. It met all of the checks that I mentioned above...the brake pedal looked new, the seats were not warn at all, the doors opened and shut like a Cadillac, exhaust was like new, motor ran like a dream, tires were new, no rust or major dents, etc. I felt fairly sure the mileage was correct...notice I said "fairly" sure.

rfischba1

Bruce , you are one lucky guy, Spent some time again at Ft Meade GL, lots of junk on the GL side , but the Goverment lot has a lot of real nice trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks