• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 A2 pick up

dodgerex

Awesome site, so much great info on here. this is my first post. im new to MV in the civilian world that is, im still currently in the Army Reserves, been to Iraq twice, as a matter of fact my first our i drove a deuce and a trailer from kuwait to Baghdad. So any ways 24 hours from now im going to travel 600 mies to go pick up this M101 A2. I want to you it primarley for camping purposes, i think its going to look way cooler then a regular trailer behind my 2012 Jeep 4 door Wrangler Unlimited. I would love to copy all that Mark Harley and others have done, but I just dont have the tools or resources. well i guess one thing at a time right! I dont think I can post any pics yet but you all know what they look like anyways, i just have to say it looks nice to me, freshly painted ODG. and chevy wheels and new tires and 4flat trailer wiring.

Dan

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats and welcome aboard. There are many like minded people in the 7 round state!

harleyhouse

Dan:
Welcome, Let the build begin.
Post up pictures as you go and if you have any questions PM me.
The 101A2 is a great multi purpose trailer.
Can't wait to see what you have planned, I am always looking for new ideas.

And just remember I am tighter than a frogs butt so most of my additions on my trailer were close to free.

I want to do a 1101 or 1102 next as soon as I can get a cheap one.

dodgerex

this trailer is costing $800 not including the gas round trip, so things are going to be VERY TIGHT this year for any mods to this trailer. im thinking if i cant find a cover/tarp for this by April, im going to go the mytarp.com way

dodgerex

Brought it home last night. I can not believe how wonderfully this trailer pulled behind my jeep. It's like it wasn't even there. Way better then my 6x10 utility trailer.
Now the only concern I had was the driver's side wheel bearing was getting warm, the other one nice and cold. this M101 A2 has the 8 lug chevy wheels, where can I find the exact part I need for the bearings, I mean after 400 miles and no major problem i'm not overly concerned but i'd rather be safe then sorry.
I will get more pictures of it today. I want to start working on the Tounge so i can switch out from 2 inch to pintle and get it a little more level with my jeep. I do have my lift kit in the garage I still need to put on and i know that will help too. it also came with the bows. So now i need to either find a cover for it or use mytarp.com to have one made.853225_10151314396647409_1919879980_o.jpg

Nick

Nice trailer. Congratulations! And take a look at my trailer too, it just goes to show not a lot of modifications are needed to have a useful and fun trailer. Dont get me wrong, Harleyhouse's trailer is AWESOME, and I wanted to do some of the things he did to mine, but when money is tight, as it is with me too, you learn to make do with what you have and make mods that are affordable. Someday Ill have a few of the neat things like that, but for now, it works just the way it is.

Welcome and congrats again

Nick

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you strip it down to repack the bearings, grab the numbers off of them. I'm sure they are more common than just about anything else on the trailer.

dodgerex

Great. thanks guys. is there any online site for a tarp other than making a new one? My wife doesn't want me doing to much too it. but as long as i can put stuff in it for camping right now and keep things dry, then I'll be all right. other than a tarp I quess the only thing i'm going to do to it this summer is rhino the bed and change out the hitch. although If i can get my jeep higher i might just keep it set up the way it is now, the breaks worked on it so that's a Plus. and thanks Harleyhouse for the advice on the bearings.

tlmob1

Dodgerex,
Thanks for your sevice and welcome back. I'm retired Coast Guard 21 years and I bought a 52- M135 from my wifes uncle. This truck was my wife and I's first date 20 years ago. I just won the bid on a 53 M104A1 trailer and I cant wait to pick it up. It was on the government liquidation site. Welcome here and there is a ton of info here to help.

dodgerex

Ill keep checking the classifieds, im giving myself until May, if i cant find one ill have one made i guess.

i also just looked at the trailer today, it looks so easy to take off the tub, and the lunette. im happy about that.

dodgerex

Heres a couple of pics i promised. but now im confused... two different plates attached one on the frame says M116 A2 and on the tub it says M101. whats up with this:cookoo:

Attachments

harleyhouse

The tub bolts under are easy to take off, Spray them with oil a few times before removal.
There are rear corner braces and two in fron of your wheels that have four bolts each.
And hidden bolt in the center of the front and rear of the tub.

Last edited:

Kelzamos

I'm very sorry to bump an old post but...thank you Dan for your service and for providing info on your trailer. Much appreciated!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks