• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 Markings and Age

Texjun

Can someone please help me decipher the markings on my M101 Trailer. 1st marking is on the left rear under Tailgate 1 (small Pyramid Symbol) 4F3 see attached picture 2nd is on the right rear under tailgate HQ18T, on the right front is a small info plate. There are no other markings or dateplates, they were all removed or sanded off and left to rust. Thanks to John Colwell at Vintage Military Truck and Trailers in Waxahachie, Texas I was able to purchase a correct Draw Bar, Pintle Hitch, and Landing Gear assemble from a M116 that John had in his stock. I also got a wiring harness for the M101 and an NATO Aux Power Plug for my M37. From the attached pictures can some hazard a guess of the year of My M101 or is it a M101A, or is it a M101A1?2013-8-6 M101 Recovery 003.jpg2013-8-6 M101 Recovery 005.jpg2013-8-25 M101 With Correct Draw Bars and Landing Gear.jpgInfo Plate Right Front.jpg

tbone1004

parking brakes indicate M101 no A designation. Not sure if there's any way to identify based on the markings.

The painted numbers are the ID markings for the trailer and unfortunately don't help date it.

1delta indicates first armored division
4F3 I don't recognize
HQ is headquarters
18T should be the 18th trailer assigned

Unless you can find a serial number I don't think you'll be able to date it. To my knowledge M101A doesn't exist, it went straight to the A1 in 1962 I believe

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The trailer looks a lot better with the right hitch and landing gear. Like I said in your other thread, its an m101 not an m101a1. I see no evidence of the trailer receptacle near the brake handles, so it may be a later m101. It is pre 1962 for sure.

Texjun

You are correct there is no receptacle in the center but there is evidence that the wire harness went to the left inside draw bar. Thanks for your help

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
4F3.... Fourth Battalion, 3rd Field Artillery?

Current Wiki info says the 4/3 was part of the 2nd armor, but, could have been part of the 1st when that trailer was in service. You'd have to do some more digging.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Probably 4-3 Field Artillery. Do a google search and see what you find for them with 1st Armor Division.

18T is the trailer for vehicle 18. It was probably part of the personnel administration section at battalion HQ.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks