• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m101 - now what?

knattrass

Well in the dog house now, got carried away at the auction site, bid, and won a m101 tralier that is complete with all the racks and green cover. The forward bulkhead is rusted thru along the bottom edge about an inch and will need a new piece welded in. The tires are NDT in great shape that match the m37. I was planning on repairing it and wanted to get a canvas cover. Quickly thou, the cost will add up and I really have no place to store it! Yikes - what was I thinkin'

ida34

I don't know what you were thinking. Let me know if you plan on selling it. I am near Ann Arbor.

Chuck

knattrass

Thanks for the support - I got a quote to sandblast everything but the bottom which has undercoating on it - $400 (includes axles/wheels) and we figured we would epoxy prime x2 and enamel x2. Somewhere around $1000 into it. Do you guys think its worth the restore if we had to sell it? I'm looking for a space to park it at one of the fee lots.

BSH

Worth it? Not in the sense that you would get your money back. However, having a complete rig, truck & trailer, all neat & matching would be pretty sweet. That has some intrinsic value. Don't think of it as an "investment," think of what value it has to you, for form, functionality, satisfaction, whatever.

By the way, I'm interested in hearing about your sandblast job - I'm planning on getting mine done, but didn't think about the undercoating issue. I'm not sure I care to keep the undercoating. Did your quote cover blasting a disassembled trailer?

knattrass

Hey Brian - thanks for the moral support!
The main problem with the undercoating is that because it has a bit of a rebound to it to deflect stones, its never really hard enough to blast off. What happens is that the sandblaster actually heats it up to a point where it kind of melts off. Blasters hate this stuff to no end.

The quote was based on doing the entire inside/outside of the cargo box, the front yoke/landing leg, wheels, and then "dumping" the box (pulling the front pins) and doing the frame/axles/springs. Mine has a camo paint job that has flaked in areas back to the red primer - the primer is still very good. The bed floor has some rust forward and the forward bulkhead is rusted thru along the front edge. I figured to cut and patch.

Hope this helps!

knattrass

Hey Bigbee - the trailer is in Clarkston MI down the road from you. We are making a tile app to MI. Got to finish the M37 b/4 anything else. I plan on being at the Clare show with Zach. We will be wearing od caps with black "M37" on the front! See you there?

BSH

RE: Re: RE: m101 - now what?

Thanks for the tip on sandblasting with that undercoating. I'll have to give this some more thought.

Mine also has rust up front - I think they all do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks