• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 trailers

tuscguy

Giving some very serious thought to bidding on surplus M101 trailers for use as utility trailer. I will use a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 w/ 360, auto. trans, & towing package. My questions are; 1) I was told at a military vehicle meet the M101 bed would tilt, dumping it's load if the parking brakes were set & the tow vehicle backed up just a little bit. If he wasn't blowing me some wind, was it on the -A1 or -A2 model?; 2) In pictures of some of the more current vehicles/trailers, one may see a large reflective area on the tailgate made out to look as a tailight and turn indicator. Is this an overseas requirement or what? I'd like to obtain a set for the trailer just for safety's sake. I've talked to Rick Larsen of Larsens's Stencil operation - he doesn't think there's a US supply. If not, where might I find some?

mangus580

The M101's will dump, but they dump in the fashion of how a snowmobile trailer tilts. The pivot point of the dump is the axle.

Longhunter7

LOCATION?

tuscguy,

It would be most helpful if you could put your location in the location box, by going to the profile at the top of the Forum page.

This is a requirement of the Forum, thank you!

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M101 in not meant to dump by taking out the front attachment bolts and locking the parking brakes. The rear pivot points are not aligned properly for that operation. Doing this will cause metal fatigue to set in as the welded bosses flex a bit each time. The loss of one of these attachment points at speed with load will cause an accident.

The tongue IS designed to be hinged up along the front of the bed to assist in air transport by taking out the rear bolts and swinging it up, standing it on the wide part of the tongue.

dg

N1265

There is one in a junk yard neer me for $600. It is dated 1968 and is in good shape with little rust ( for our area), but the wood rails need to be replaced and it has the older NDT tires :roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks