• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A1 Conversion to Civilian Wheels

KaiserM109

Some time ago we had a thread running about converting trailers, but I couldn't find it. It was long enough ago that I might as well start a new one.

I bought a scrap M101A1 that was missing enough parts that I didn't need an EUC, but it had a complete box in excellent condition. I wanted a trailer that I could pull behind my '69 Bronco or our '61 Willys with a Ford power train and IH Scout axles, so I wanted small diameter hubs and a 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern to keep the spares the same.

I chopped off the axle ends and welded on spindle hubs from a '75 Ford Bronco. The Inside Diameter was the same as the OD of the axle (with just a little polishing) so it was real easy to make a good connection. That's the first photo. Next we built a tongue from square tubing. Ours looks a lot like the original, nothing special.

About the welding: If you look at the at first picture it is easy to see the circular weld. To reinforce against weight we added a triangular flange at the top and the bottom. That's a little harder to discern, especially the top one.

The brake backing plate is from the front of the ’75 Bronco. Later I plan to modify it to accept an emergency brake cable and connect it to the original brake handles. The wheels and tires are temporaries, pull-offs from another project.

The hub, picture 2, is still original but I plan to chop it off just outside the end of the spindle and put on the blank ends from a Jeep Wagoneer. That will put them inside the tires; right now they stick out about 1 to 2 inches. I had to put the whole thing, except the actual lockout gears, on to make it water proof. I positioned the wheels so that with fat tires the rubber will line up ½ inch inside the box.

I put a combo hitch on it so that I can switch it between military and civilian vehicles. I am presently using temporary lights but I plan to put on a set of LED lights that take from 12 volts to 38 volts. That way I can hook it up to 12 or 24 volt systems without any type of conversion.

I towed the trailer first empty at 65 MPH and it was great. My Bronco has one loose steering joint and the trailer actually stabilized it a bit. Next I towed it with around 1500 lb. at 50 MPH and it was a little too much for the Bronco with soft sidewall tires. It tended to waggle a bit and showed a very slight tendency to oscillate. Better tires on the Bronco would help a lot. On a towing vehicle with more distance from the axle to hitch and soft tires it could be a problem.

I plan to sandblast and paint the rig later this summer. When I do I will show pictures of the whole thing. Right now it is a bit ugly, even for an MV enthusiast. All in all, I am very pleased with the results. Even with 15" tires instead of the original 16", it has great ground clearance for off road towing.

Attachments

Buzzard217

what do you do if/when you need to replace the spindle?

I think I would have a hard time getting everything square. I guess i could get it square, tack and check for square as i go. If i were to try it, I would grab the parts from a 2wd truck so as to skip the hub lockout part.

unless im missing something, id want to find a way to replace the spindle other than cutting it off and welding on a new one.

any ideas? thoughts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks