• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A1 light troubles

shootiniron

I'm in the midst of converting my 101 to a civy 7 wire plug and am having difficulty.I've used the info gathered here to determine which wires are to be used for the turns,brakes and running lights and have wired them to the plug as indicated on the plug.However when I turn on the lights they seem to work properly but when a turn signal is thrown in it gets complicated.The turns light up both the running light bulbs(12v 97's) and seem to bleed through to the turn/brake bulbs(12v 1156's).When just useing the turn signal its the same,they both flash,rather weakly.I have even unplugged all the other plugs that are not being used thinking that might help but no joy.
What am I not doing correctly.

shootiniron

Thought of that,grounds ok.It just makes no sense.I've got power going the right places,its just bleed through somewhere,oh and when you hit the brakes the lights go out.aua

Sounds like you might have a cross feed going on.

Take out all of your bulb and check them to see if you have a broken or loose filament.

A broken filament will make contact inside the bulb with the other filament and will pass current through anther set of wires to mess up your lights.

Paddyofurniture

A
Thought of that,grounds ok.It just makes no sense.I've got power going the right places,its just bleed through so mewhere,oh and when you hit the brakes the lights go out.aua

shootiniron

Well,after much trouble shooting I went back with the standard military trailer plug and made up an adaptor from a seven wire female receptical that I got from Saturn Surplus and put civy plug on and whala I have lights and brakes.:grin:.I'll get a pic of it up later.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what was the problem? It still sounds like a bad ground - a ground needs to be carried through the trailer wiring and plug connectors. Was that happening? Otherwise the circuit that you are trying to use will try to ground itself by back feeding through the elements of other bulbs, giving the effect that you describe.

shootiniron

It was probably the ground at the junction box.I did take some emmery cloth to it when I was putting the military plug back on.All the bulbs checked out as well as the wiring so your most likely correct with the ground.It was a bit on the dirty side with some surface rust.It was a good feeling though when I plugged in the adaptor I fashioned and it all worked!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks