• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101a1-M116a1 hub question

tbone1004

So I purchased a used m116a1 for like $150. It didn't have any lights when I bought it, but the PO found the lights. The harness was all gone, as are the hand brakes and all that. Sucks major, but so be it. So yesterday I was underneath for the first time running wires to the back. Got the lights up, but saw that one of the bolts was missing on one of the hubs holding the drums in. I'm planning on swapping to a dexter axle at some point, but in the mean time, can I remove the drums and all that to shed weight while I'm in there fixing that missing bolt? Figure it would be a good excuse to repack all the bearings and what not. Just wanted to know if anyone had removed the brake assemblies with no other effects.

harleyhouse

I took the wholebrake system off.
I bought my M101A2 fom a private owner in Ohio.
It did not have a working surge system and the brake shoes were
used up. The parking brakes were missing parts too.
I towed it home with my 2002 GMC 2500HD and did not notice it behind it on the trip home.

The 8 lug hubs match the patern on my truck so I don't need an extra spare.

Here is my build blog:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...d-a-Military-trailer-to-build-a-family-hauler

Attachments

Last edited:

tbone1004

yeah, i knew it had been done with the surge brakes, but didn't know if it had been done on the a1's. I guess I'll get it up on the jacks this weekend and try it out. Do you still have the landing leg from the A2? If yours was a crank down I'd love to buy it from you...

papakb

The crank down landing legs didn't become standard until the 101A3s. The A1s introduced the dump bed and front pull brake handles, the A2s introduced the surge coupler and 8 lug wheels and the A3s introduced the widened, dropped axle and the crank down leg. All the A3s I've seen also have galvanized beds on them. Great for keeping the front panel from rusting out.

tbone1004

ok so pulling the brakes out is as simple as just removing them and putting the wheels back on? I haven't done this and haven't had a lot of drum brake experience. Spoiled I know, but all of the vehicles I've owned have been 4 wheel disc since I've been working on cars.

Tanner

The A1s introduced the dump bed and front pull brake handles...
Has it been confirmed - without a doubt - that the M101A1 was designed to dump?? ALL the info I've ever seen stated that the only reason for the removal of the front bed bolts was to allow for the front a-frame portion to fold under for transporting multiple trailers on rail cars or other flat bed transport... nesting the trailers together for shipping.

This has been discussed before - http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/24414-m101-dump-bed-2.html >> Comment #19

The front spring brackets aren't the strongest parts in the world - dump at your own risk...

'Tanner'

tbone1004

well mine "dumps" but will never be used as such. Mine does not have an A1 designation, just M116. Didn't have handles for brakes on it when I bought it, but those could have been removed, and the hassle of adding them is not worth it when I will be switching the axle at some point

Tanner

Also, I believe that the m101a1 did not introduce the "dump bed" (it does not dump), as the bed is the same as an m101.
My point is that the M101/A1/A2/etc., were not designed to dump, in any literature that I've found - someone please confirm if I'm incorrect here - and the 'pivot points' are for folding the a-frame down or under for transport.

I can weld/bolt a plow to a MINI, but it doesn't make it a suitable tractor -

tbone - if you need assistance or pointers, there are a number of us SS folk in Raleigh area.

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
My point is that the M101/A1/A2/etc., were not designed to dump, in any literature that I've found - someone please confirm if I'm incorrect here - and the 'pivot points' are for folding the a-frame down or under for transport.

I can weld/bolt a plow to a MINI, but it doesn't make it a suitable tractor -

tbone - if you need assistance or pointers, there are a number of us SS folk in Raleigh area.
My point was directed to the info posted a few posts up, not your post.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks