• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A1 project for a JKU

pupmo

Won it last week on govplanet.com and picked it up today over in Texarkana. Looks to be in decent condition. Aired up the tires, pulled it about 20 miles and checked the hub temps. They were both fine. Pulled it down I30 the most of the rest of the way home. Pulled and tracked nice.

Plans are to clean it up and paint it O.D. Green and do an Axle swap so I can run some JK bolt pattern wheels.

jkm1_zpslzxeagyj.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good score.
Great trailer and you can't beat the prices.

You have a straight shot to Texarkana at least.
Almost a 5 hour drive for me down there.

I just finished redoing my M101A2.
Absolutely love it.

Keep us updated!

pupmo

Axle swap done. Dexter 3" 3500lb, 62" Hub Face to Hub Face, 43.25 Spring Center to Spring Center. Electric Brakes. Using OEM JK Wheels with 2" spacers to clear the hubs.
Old axle on the ground and grinding off axle/shock mounts.
alxe4.jpg
Mounts cleaned up and primed.
axle5.jpg
New axle in place and ready to bolt in.
alxe3.jpg
Out on a test run, view from the rear.
axle1.jpg
View from the side.
alxe2.jpg
Going to work on replacing the wood in the rails and bows next. When it warms up again, I'll prep everything for paint.

j10jim

Cool. I am running 8 lug dana 60 on J10 with J20 running gear. Have been tempted to run a dexter in place of the stock axle to save some weight but I want to keep the parking brake. And with 8 lug I think I need the 5200# axle. But yours looks good!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool. I am running 8 lug dana 60 on J10 with J20 running gear. Have been tempted to run a dexter in place of the stock axle to save some weight but I want to keep the parking brake. And with 8 lug I think I need the 5200# axle. But yours looks good!
Or just buy the M101A2 or M101A3 with the 8-lug pattern and surge brakes.

j10jim

I have an A3. Was just thinking about making it lighter. But the flip side is I can tow it with pretty much anything with the surge brakes. I can even tow it behind my 5th wheel once I get my Commercial license.

pupmo

Replaced the wood on the sides and primered all the hw for it.
rails1_zps9vtbwxoi.jpg
rails2_zps6qmoqqun.jpg
Made 4 new bows to go with it too. Just need another pair of bow corners for the 5th bow. New tarp on it also.
tarp1_zpsrrkfeosh.jpg

Anyone have a pair of bow corners they are willing to part with?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In your setup, were the stock safety chains long enough to reach the hooks on your Jeep?

On my truck, when it is used with this receiver hitch, the stock chains aren't long enough to reach properly.
FullSizeRender01.jpg

Second question, if you don't mind. Do you have any close-up pictures of the tailgate chain hook points? My M101A1 has a much different latch mechanism than my M105A2, and I don't think it allows for a "horizontal" tailgate configuration....

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

pupmo

On the back for the tailgate, I just tied in a bit of chain so when I let down the gate, it hangs even with the bed.
chain1_zps7elghuem.jpg
On the tongue, I cut off the old hooks, added on some more safety chain and new smaller hooks.
chain2_zpsmyk0gh5m.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks