• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2/3 trailer adjustable lunette ring question

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About seven plus years ago I modified my lunette ring on my M101A2 trailer. I needed it to be adjustable so I got all the parts necessary and cut off the old ring. It's been a great mod then yesterday on flebay I find this tan unit amd it's exactly the same setup I made. I had no clue the military had an adjustable lunette setup for the M101A2/3.

Mark

20130823_114834.jpg

s-l400 (4).png

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
They’re off of one of the earlier style drash trailers. That whole assembly is not quite bolt on for an m101, it’s welded to an extra reinforcement where it attaches to the A-frame. But you could cut that extra off or just use the lunette itself in the m101a2/a3 hitch as it’s all interchangeable parts still.
I have an original one around somewhere to go on an m101 someday.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They’re off of one of the earlier style drash trailers. That whole assembly is not quite bolt on for an m101, it’s welded to an extra reinforcement where it attaches to the A-frame. But you could cut that extra off or just use the lunette itself in the m101a2/a3 hitch as it’s all interchangeable parts still.
I have an original one around somewhere to go on an m101 someday.

That makes sense. Looks like I made the mod ten years ago according to the picture. I did notice the slightly different mount. These units have to be very rare. As you can see it worked well with my Mazda B2200 to pull the trailer level.

Mark

20130821_173049.jpg

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
The military didn't order a lot of them like that. They had no need. Removable parts means troops lose things. The manufacture has always had the option for the adjustable channel. Though, like you, I just had a welder weld one on one of mine years ago.

Now that I can weld, I will do the next one myself.

They have a horrible website;
https://mendenhallindustries.com/brake-actuators/

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The piece to convert the original m101 surge unit to adjustable is a civy part and typically available at e trailer or croft. You have to go to the parts breakout section of the surge brake units. Also can be converted to trailer ball. M101 was toledo or bankcroft? as the company has changed names many times.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I paid $4 for this at the junkyard a few years ago, with the intent of using part of it to make an adjustable hitch on my M116A3 HSTRU, which towed quite nose-low behind the CUCVs. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was a direct bolt-on replacement.
I have the part number written down somewhere, but it currently evades me, I'll add it when it comes to hand.

Cheers

0.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 6.jpg

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks