• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Roof top tent trailer

canman

I bought a M101a2 last month from GL in hopes of turning it into a Roof Top Tent trailer/ utility trailer. It was in pretty decent condition with only minor rust. Both the parking brakes and surge brakes work. So far I have converted the lights to 12v, replaced a bad driver side bearing, welded a new jack on, welded 2" receivers to the frame for landing legs front and rear, painted frame and body, and built a rack for my future RTT. I am still thinking about converting the lunette to ball but I want to keep it as close to original as possible. I am open to any pros and cons for lunette vs ball. I also need advice on the RTT. So far I have looked at CVT and Tupui and I cant find a difference between the two. Does anyone have experience with either?

Attachments

quickfarms

The lunette allows more articulation than a ball hitch.

Off road, or even on the road, the coupler can pop off the ball but I have never had a problem with a lunette coming apart.

If you look at big trucks they use lunettes.

I also find it easier to hook up a lunette. I always spend time getting a ball hitch lined up and properly connected.

The bad think about lunettes is they can make a clunking sound under certain conditions especially if the trailer does not have enough tongue weight.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trailer looks good. I think you'll be happy with it.

I agree with the above, and sometimes there is a liottle noise with the lunettes, but once you know and understand what makes the noise, its really no bother. If you do want to change to a ball, a replacement is availiable for that hitch, but quite expensive - it interchanges with the lunette, and converts it to a ball, instead of the ring. I don't remember right now the name of the trailer supply, but they sell all repair parts, for that system.

canman

Thanks for the imput on the hitch. I have to agree, hooking it up is a lot easier. I pulled it 375 miles from Dallas with no issues. I just havent had any experience offroad with it yet. I think I will leave it as is since the braking system works. I am however intersted in the ball conversion. Hit me up if you think of who makes that.

ecotrek

In reference to the RTTs, I am a dealer for Tepui here in East Tennessee and they are well built and well engineered tents.
Service from Tepui is quick and outstanding. Tepui is a very progressive company.
Before becoming a dealer for them, I did a lot of research and found Tepui the best tent for the money!
I have had no experience with CVT and have no opinion about their tents.
So much for my input on RTTs.
Hope this helps and good luck with your build.

3dAngus

I find the regular trailer ball hitch to be much more accommodating when pulling with a civy pickup. You don't have the slop of a pintle floating around with the stop and go in town and they backup much easier with better control.
Even so, I can make do with the pintle just fine, and surely would not care for the added expense to change it out when there are other areas I can spend my money.
Your trailer looks great! Look forward to seeing the final.

Last edited:

John Galt

Definitely keep the lunette. Other than a little bit of noise, there is no negative to it.

I like your simple rear stabilizers. Any reason you are keeping the original front landing leg?

How does that tarp hold up to TX freeway speeds? I thought I had a good set up but I was proven wrong at 85 mph :)

I built a similar rack but have not plans for RTT.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/115666-RagnarD-s-M101A3-Build

Nice rifle too.

harleyhouse

canman

Nice trailer John that is a cool idea for a rack. I wish I had seen it earlier. I refered to Harleyhous's trailers to help me with mine. He has some really good ideas as well. I will be keeping the lunette for now. It seems the positives outweigh the negatives. Plan on testing it pretty hard next summer in Colorado. I have yet to test the trailer with the tarp on. Its a 18oz vinyl tarp made for trailers but I am looking for a good way to keep it on and tight. I added some tarp bows made from 1" pvc that fit in the channels for the bed rails. I hope this will keep the tarp from flopping around. I plan on removing the front landing leg and making the stabelizer legs adjustable.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks