• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A3 DTY Steel Stakes uprights.

John Galt

~2"x1.5"

The fit front to back is good. A little bit of movement but just enough to allow easy removal. I tried this stake in all the pockets and it was obvious that not all of the pockets are the same. Side to side, the fit is tunable. I will probably cut each stake a little thicker then fine tune with a tiger disk specific for each pocket.

May also add something to distribute some of the weight on the top of the rail instead of just the bottom of the bed. Still undecided about the specific configuration of the rack. I have been looking at threads on expedition portal to get ideas so any suggestions are welcome.

The material was just 2x2 square tubing.

John Galt

Well, finally got around to making the 4 stakes I wanted. Material used was .120 wall 2"x2" tubing. Hopefully I will finish the "bow" parts this week. Took one razor disk per stake and a lot longer than I expected it would to cut and fit each stake. I am glad I went with the .120 wall over the 3/16. The .120 should be plenty strong and provide a good base for any future modifications. I chose the height based on the height of the garage door opening.

Made a trip to the steel yard to get material for this project and a few others.

i-nfjVxqB-M.jpg

Initial cuts

i-Z3vKz74-M.jpg

Rough sized

i-hxgt9v3-M.jpg

Fine tuned with flap disk

i-9HxZbz8-M.jpg

Getting closer to being complete

i-zmppTzV-M.jpg

PcCruiser

Well I totally forgot about this thread by the time I got through getting the trailer and my garage all cleaned up etc. I am planning on selling the bows, stakes and side rails off mine still (did have a bit where I thought I would keep them). If you still want them let me know. I need to research to know what they're worth first. :)

svanhorn

Well I totally forgot about this thread by the time I got through getting the trailer and my garage all cleaned up etc. I am planning on selling the bows, stakes and side rails off mine still (did have a bit where I thought I would keep them). If you still want them let me know. I need to research to know what they're worth first. :)
I need the brackets for storing the bows at the front of the racks.

AnthonyVargas

I went to the local machine shop and they had the perfect size pipe to fit inside the stake pockets for the M101A3 . The stake pockets are 2"x1.5" and are 12 inches deep. (at least mine had a stopper in there right at 12")
At first it was a little tight fit, but after playing with the pipe (wiggling it back and forth) and scraping away all the old paint inside the pocket, it works great. The gas struts pictured are for the rack to go up and down a additional 10"

Attached are some pictures of my application. IMG_2273.jpgIMG_2290.jpgIMG_2289.jpg

John Galt

Nice find on the rectangular tube. I could not find any that size. The stopper is the spring clip. Some are welded to the inside some to the outside...... I made mine into channel so it would slip down and rest on the floor of the trailer. Seemed stronger and had less wobble.

How do you raise and lower the rack? From what I have seen, it is a challenge to raise and lower a rack like that without binding. Most use linear actuators so all 4 posts can be moved at the same time.

No issues with the stakes bouncing out. Once some dirt etc gets in there, there is is very little wobble. Made a rack for a buddies 101 and did weld a piece of angle iron to the upright so the stake could be bolted to the top rail of tub. Probably not needed but firms things up some.

Cut the stakes with a jig saw now. Just need to shorten the blade so it doesn't hit the other side.

Last edited:

AnthonyVargas

Getting the rack up isn't a problem at all, as long as you don't let one side of the rack get to far up before the other side. Getting the rack down does take some effort, but I just have another person jump on top and that is enough weight to push it down against the gas struts. Each strut is 100 pounds on each corner, so it pushes up the rack (110 pounds) and roof top tent (170 pounds) easily.
If I am by myself I can still get the rack down, I just use a ratchet strap. But having 2 people makes everything easier with this type of setup.
I thought about using linear actuators but the cost of them was not worth it. It takes less than 1 minute to rise and drop the platform with the gas struts I am using.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks