• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A3 Retractable Trailer Support (Jack) Maintenance

DrakeSF2K

I just picked up a very nice M101A3 trailer in nearly mint condition. The jack worked fine when I picked it up, but the next time I tried to use it, the jack won't lift past a certain point at an unusable level for me. Can anybody point me in the direction of maintenance instructions? The TM for the trailer references it and gives a part number, but there's no field service referenced. I'd like to pull it apart, grease, unbind, refurbish, etc., but one person on this forum said they are not serviceable. I'm hoping that is misinformation and that somebody here has experience. Information on the jack as follows:

NSN 2590-01-534-8779
P/N: 12476168

I heard that @CUCVFAN might have more information about these. I did search the forums here (and everywhere, exhaustively) to try to find more information, but either these never go bad or the fix is a government secret. Hoping my inside track here helps me to find out more info. If it helps, I used to have a clearance. :)

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I just had one all apart to shorten/modify for a jeep trailer. It’s actually pretty straight forward once you get into it.
Remove it from the trailer and there are two screws that hold the top cover on. Once that’s off you’ll need to knock out some pins and the bottom half will drop out. There’s a cast piece that can break and jam things up, or everything might just need to be cleaned up.

DrakeSF2K

I just had one all apart to shorten/modify for a jeep trailer. It’s actually pretty straight forward once you get into it.
Remove it from the trailer and there are two screws that hold the top cover on. Once that’s off you’ll need to knock out some pins and the bottom half will drop out. There’s a cast piece that can break and jam things up, or everything might just need to be cleaned up.
That's awesome and something I'm comfortable doing. Thanks for your feedback!

lfhoward

Thanks for both the ask and the reply. The jack on my M116A3 is the same and is not quite as smooth as it used to be. It could need cleaning too, or grease. Just unbolt the cap and squeeze grease in from the top of it’s low?

DrakeSF2K

I removed the jack and took it apart. Unfortunately, the cast plate inside is mangled. I can't figure out how to get it out of there without cutting off the bottom of the jack and fabricating a new one, then welding back together. I think I'm probably just going to buy an aftermarket unit. I tried to find these for sale, but people are asking way too much money for them.

Last edited:

2Dogs

How much are they going for? I just took one off, cleaning it and it will be for sale soon. I was not able to even find one to compare to....

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if it was covered in the general fix up thread, but I know I had issues with mine - lot of front end accessories were mangled :-

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks