• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Accessory Cables in Bed

ArmyRail

I recently picked up a 1986 M1028 to be a tow vehicle for my M38A1. I don't know much history about my CUCV. It was decommissioned from Warner Robbins AFB in 2021 but previously used by a contractor called ERC, Inc at Redstone Arsenal. In the glove box was a log book that looked like it was for keeping track of hours and fuel but also mentioned a welder. I have to wonder if it was being used as a maintenance truck with a tow behind welding machine.

I understand the M1028 was designed to hold a shelter in the bed. I have these cables coming up into the bed and I'm not sure what they were for. Does anyone else have this set up? There appears to have been something bolted to the side of the bed above the cables. I don't think this truck had a shelter in the bed, as the paint is faded equally all around.

Attachments

Csm Davis

The faded spots is from the brace all 1028's came with, the hose and cables are going to be specialized for whatever was in the bed and are unlikely welding hook ups. Most 1028's that were setup for welding used a miller bobcat or pulled a welding trailer with a standalone welder in it.

ArmyRail

Thank you everyone for the input. As I went through the truck more I noticed a modification plate. The NSN number was the same as the M1028 so I didn't think much of it at first. I looked at it again today and noticed it was Special Purpose AN/MSQ 103-B. I researched that number to find details on the lightweight TEAMPACK shelter. When looking at a 103B TEAMPACK it has some sort of large receiver unit, likely hydraulic operated. Being a Redstone truck I can probably assume it was used for a radar or missile site.

Does anyone else have a Modification Plate on the door panel and does it explain what system it was modified for?

Also noticed when at idle the batteries are around 12.5 volts. Seems a bit low to me, what voltage do your trucks typically charge at?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks