• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 aftermarket radio install.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using the ignition feed and constant 12 volt power from my fuse panel under dash I can get radio to turn on, but nothing from speakers. If I hook up my radio shack 12 volt power supply to radio in truck it works perfect. I have 12.4 volts at ignition and 12 volt constant in fuse panel. I'm clueless as I've installed multiple aftermarket radios in cars since I was 16. Any ideas?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Using the ignition feed and constant 12 volt power from my fuse panel under dash I can get radio to turn on, but nothing from speakers. If I hook up my radio shack 12 volt power supply to radio in truck it works perfect. I have 12.4 volts at ignition and 12 volt constant in fuse panel. I'm clueless as I've installed multiple aftermarket radios in cars since I was 16. Any ideas?
The military version of the radios seem to be powered directly from the battery box.
May not have anything to do with your problem - but what if - the difference in your case is Grounding?

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military version of the radios seem to be powered directly from the battery box.
May not have anything to do with your problem - but what if - the difference in your case is Grounding?
That's what I'm wondering. I have grounded to a screw on the dash. I think my next move is to run a ground to battery.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using the ignition feed and constant 12 volt power from my fuse panel under dash
What specifically did you connect to? I'm not familiar with "the ignition feed" or what is a constant 12v source.

The only 12v ignition switch controlled circuit I recall is the wipers. Use that to trigger a relay and run power straight from the battery to the radio thru the relay.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a piggy back on the 25A wiper fuse so the radio operates on accessory but I can’t see why the ignition power wouldn’t work as well. Constant 12V from the under hood wire block and grounded above the parking brake on that (after cleaning). I don’t have any issues with radio operation. I’m sure I’m stating the obvious here but I’d just just to make sure you have power from both sources right at the radio in case there’s an issue with a connection or wire.

Last edited:

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good! Where did you put the speakers? I did 2 behind the seat, one at each corner.
I only have the two dash speakers for now I was thinking about getting a brackets to put behind the seat. Is that what you did? Do you have any pics of your install, thanks!

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I just have the 2 behind the seat, but was eventually going to add some to the dash or the doors as well. Got the behind the seat brackets from LMC for 4x12” speakers, but they didn’t fit perfect and involved some trimming of the bracket. They sound pretty good but would probably go with something like this for 6x9s instead since it’s a more common speaker size if I did it over again.9C1AF7D4-0D69-41FD-924C-B0CB879B383F.jpeg30452F43-BCC6-4B85-B80D-65216F86099A.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks