• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Generator questions

Tongloong

I bought a M1028 last week and the generator /welder was gutted from the back. I could use some guidance from those wise on these things. Would it be better to use the space for a newer stand alone engine driven generator/welder? If so, which one? (NP208, no PTO)

Should I replace the original setup? There is one for sale not far from me but he wants $1500 for it and doesn't know if it works.

Has the technology changed so much that it doesn't make sense to pay a premium to fix something that should be upgraded?

I don't even know where to begin looking. I can't find it in a TM and don't know the nomenclature to properly search for the generator. Thanks in advance

Keith_J

This is a 1028 with the maintenance body on the back? That would be the old Dodge contact maintenance vehicles. It had a Hobart welder driven by a Wisconsin engine.
Retrofit to the M1031 style PTO driven unit is a lot of work plus a good bit of oddball parts. Put a Thunderbolt Miller in it and don't look back. If the PTO driven unit is desired, there should be complete take offs available. It is a great generator, just a cobbled system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks