• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1030B1: fuel leak / unique replacement parts

TechEngr

So, I was going to ride my M1030B1 and link up with the MVPA convoy that is following Historic Route 66 when they came to Fort Leonard Wood but my fuel leak was too bad!! If you live near Rte 66, here's their info https://www.facebook.com/MVPAConvoy

So, I would appreciate some help/information. I have fuel leak and I believe it is at the form fitted petcock gasket. The original gasket appears to be have a protrusion that fills the groove in the petcock. I ordered an OEM new diaphragm and all rubber components for the petcock from my Kawasaki dealer. The O-ring is too small. Kawasaki dealer could not find a solution.
I more research after the dealer failed me and contacted IMS Products (Riverside, CA) since I think they made the tank. They sent me some free gaskets to try. Their parts had the same outer dimensions but it dis not have the protruded portion to fill in the groove in the petcock.
For the heck of it, I installed the O-ring and the flat gasket together. After riding for an hour, I had a class3 leak again. I don’t think the leak is coming from the back side of the petcock where the diaphragm is. I do not see a crack in the tank. I can upload photos if that would be helpful. Does anyone have any suggestions??

On another note, are there any other unique parts other than the blackout lights, that the KLR650 website or a Kawasaki dealer will not have? If yes, where can I get those unique replacement parts for my M1030B1?
Thanks in advance!
V/r, Derek

Bradyrw625

I have 8 M1030B1s. I believe I know what is leaking. My best advice is to switch the fuel petcock from vacuum to direct flow. This is about $35 from Eagle mike. You'll have the gasget that fits in the petcock groove and a IMS tank kit (minus the gas cap) is about $40. It includes the tank mounts, hard ware, fairing mounts, and the flat gasket. You can PM me if you want to go over some stuff. I also have a restoration thread on this site.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks