• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1031 CUCV Alternator

KeelanDavis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I need to either rebuild or replace my passenger side alternator on my M1031.
Can I still buy an OE Delco-Remy alternator anywhere, or should I just rebuild it. Can anyone recommend a good replacement alternator and a good quality complete rebuild kit? I guess it doesn’t matter if it’s an off-brand if it works, but I’ve heard the non OEM alternators can be very hit or miss. I’m new to the CUCV world and the Forum, if there is already a thread for this then I apologize.

sneekyeye

Rebuilding them is not particularly hard if you have some tools and are handy. I did both of mine and the only trouble I had was one of the bearings was seized onto the main shaft of the alternator rotor. I bought kits from somebody on this site. I really don't remember who it was, it has been several years at this point.

KeelanDavis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebuilding them is not particularly hard if you have some tools and are handy. I did both of mine and the only trouble I had was one of the bearings was seized onto the main shaft of the alternator rotor. I bought kits from somebody on this site. I really don't remember who it was, it has been several years at this point.
I’ve rebuilt a few other Delco Remys that came on airplanes, but I wasn’t sure if these CUCV alternators had any specific information I should know about besides the isolated ground. I’d like to get it done by next Saturday, March 2nd. Today is Feb 22nd, so that gives me 8 days. I’m debating on just buying a replacement alternator online and rebuilding the one I have later and just saving it for when I need it.

Guyfang

Staff member
Then if you are going to rebuild an alternator, use this thread for info and advice. If you are going to buy parts, or an alternator, start a parts wanted thread. Why? well, first its the rules, but secondly, if you are looking for parts, a parts wanted thread get more visibility. AND, after you get your parts, we can close the thread. Vendors, or people who sell things are not going to look at every thread in the forum. BUT, sure will look at a parts wanted thread. And your info/advice thread can keep on going.

KeelanDavis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then if you are going to rebuild an alternator, use this thread for info and advice. If you are going to buy parts, or an alternator, start a parts wanted thread. Why? well, first its the rules, but secondly, if you are looking for parts, a parts wanted thread get more visibility. AND, after you get your parts, we can close the thread. Vendors, or people who sell things are not going to look at every thread in the forum. BUT, sure will look at a parts wanted thread. And your info/advice thread can keep on going.
That’s good to know. I guess keep it in this location so I can gather information, and whether or not I decide to rebuild it will determine if I make a new thread in the parts wanted section. I appreciate your help sir.

KeelanDavis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the alternator out of the box it shipped in and opened it up. It looks like it was wayyy overloaded or it shorted out. Either way, I’m going to order one off of eBay and then have this one rebuilt at a shop. Some of the windings look cooked. I need to figure out what caused this before I put the new one on and potentially cook it too. Does anyone have any ideas?

795DE256-E36B-4182-BB56-2BFD27C3C5AC.jpeg22BC5AA7-E77C-45F3-AF07-949A81135C5B.jpeg9396F567-6EF7-4CB0-8003-AE963FBD98F9.jpeg

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah looks like one of the field coils burned up. I wouldn't use that part. Do you have another you could part out to use? I have seen a few of these nos on surplus sites but it isn't that cost effective. That type of damage comes from the diode pack or another internal short like the regulator full fielding.

KeelanDavis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah looks like one of the field coils burned up. I wouldn't use that part. Do you have another you could part out to use? I have seen a few of these nos on surplus sites but it isn't that cost effective. That type of damage comes from the diode pack or another internal short like the regulator full fielding.
I went ahead and ordered an eBay unit. I might send this one off and have it rebuilt at a shop if it is cost effective to do so. I’m trying to figure out how to wire up the passenger side alternator now because I wasn’t the one to take it off and I bought it without it mounted, so I don’t really know what wires go where.

KeelanDavis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My eBay alternator came in and it doesn’t have this little capacitor. Does anyone know how to test one and see if it’s any good? I swapped the spacer, fan and pulley onto the new alternator already. E20A2819-429B-411A-9DE6-30B27705A50D.jpeg

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My eBay alternator came in and it doesn’t have this little capacitor. Does anyone know how to test one and see if it’s any good? I swapped the spacer, fan and pulley onto the new alternator already. View attachment 917746
You don't need it. That's for radio interference of a rt524 that the military would use in the back. If you end up getting a radio then you can pop a new one on it.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

KeelanDavis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't need it. That's for radio interference of a rt524 that the military would use in the back. If you end up getting a radio then you can pop a new one on it.

Okay, sweet! Thank you for the quick response I really appreciate it! Can you possibly direct me towards a wiring diagram so I can go through everything on the truck side before I install this alternator?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, sweet! Thank you for the quick response I really appreciate it! Can you possibly direct me towards a wiring diagram so I can go through everything on the truck side before I install this alternator?
There should be some easy ones in the tm section in the sticky of this section. Don't use a civi harness pics...they won't be right.

KeelanDavis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this little orange wire necessary? I think it goes to the diagnostics system. Mine is frayed off next to the fusible link, and I’m wondering whether I should replace it or just cut it off and cap it.
image.jpg

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this little orange wire necessary? I think it goes to the diagnostics system. Mine is frayed off next to the fusible link, and I’m wondering whether I should replace it or just cut it off and cap it.
View attachment 917810
I would double check to confirm it is the diagnostic circuit (which I'm pretty sure it is) but if so you can remove/cap it. I removed the entire diagnostic circuit from my m1008.

KeelanDavis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would double check to confirm it is the diagnostic circuit (which I'm pretty sure it is) but if so you can remove/cap it. I removed the entire diagnostic circuit from my m1008.
I checked the wiring diagram for the diagnostic system and it was on there. I just want to make sure it won’t fry something if I don’t plug it in. Thank you for your help!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks