• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 ramps

doskiez

Just wanted to throw out an idea I had for some feedback. I have an M105 trailer that I pull behind my dually and I have the itch to make some ramps for it so I can load in a small tractor 2-4K weight, not sure. As a rule of thumb I always over build things, but I have never built ramps.

I am wondering if I would be able to make ramps 9ft long out of 2in x1/4 think angle iron that would support the tractors weight or whatever else I decided to throw in the trailer.

My thoughts are take 2 pieces of angle iron 9 ft long and orient them so there is a flat side on the surface of the ramp and another flat side on each side of the ramps. Then take 8-12 inch pieces of angle and weld them between the two side pieces to make the area of the ramp that the tire will travel on. I hope that makes sense.

the other option I can think of would be the same configuration but with 1x2 rectangular tubing stood on end to replace the angle iron on the outside of the ramps.

Thoughts?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Small tractor and a M105 is a lot to STOP with a pick up and no trailer brakes.

bjsmith

could also make a fold away leg in the middle that is adjustable that way it will cut the length in half making it stronger since not going the full 9'

doskiez

DUG, I have pulled this tractor on a large flatbed tandom trailer with no trailer brakes without any problem. Plus I plan on putting air brake hookups on my truck.

Bj I was hoping to do a single span to keep weight and hassle down. I was also planning on putting mounts on the ramps that would slip into the holes on the side of the trailer that are ment to store the front and back stake sides

doskiez

DUG, I have pulled this tractor on a large flatbed tandom trailer with no trailer brakes without any problem. Plus I plan on putting air brake hookups on my truck.

Bj I was hoping to do a single span to keep weight and hassle down. I was also planning on putting mounts on the ramps that would slip into the holes on the side of the trailer that are ment to store the front and back stake sides

bjsmith

Im talking about single span top but some type of adjustable support leg in middle that you can fold or remove. A leg with multiple holes to make adjustable in case ground is not the same at all places and made from round or square tube. Doing so could double the capacity of whatever you build and would not add much weight.

deuceaid

Banned
well it sound like the same as a friends trailer ramp,,,,BUT NOT that long...we load a kubota l 4200 dt-gst with loader and scrapper on ramps but they are about 5 feet long and made from C channel on the outside..... I dont think it could span that far.

lacoda56

The angle would be too light for that span without some type of leg. 3" channel would be better but would add quite a bit of weight. If you want to stick with the angle, I'd add a couple of truss rods welded underneath to help support things.

doskiez

I think I will run this by my local trailer fab shop. See if they have any suggestions, or could weld me up a set of aluminum ramps, I would kill for a TIG right about now