• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 Tow ring flip and other questions.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Can the tow ring be flipped on the M105 trailer to allow for trailer ride angle adjustment? If so what tools are needed to do so? Especially any special tools? Also what is the usual tongue weight for one of these empty? Finally is it easy to remove the front landing gear to reduce tongue weight?
Thanks,
Ethan

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Tow ring (lunette) can be flipped, should require just a big ole' socket and ratchet.

I do not know the tongue weight.

Gear removes pretty easily, but be warned, it's nice to have. These things are hefty.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yeah the gear is just a temporary thing. Do you happen to know what the size of that socket as if it that big I better make sure I have one with me when I go to pickup.

citizensoldier

1 1/2 inch is the size. If its been sitting for a long time and never been taken off you may need some penetrating oil and some heat. When they are stuck I put a peice of heavy flat stock between the wheel bracket and the nut. Heat it up and unthread it until it hits the flatstock. It will push the pintle ring out. then flip and tighten it up again. You should bring a 1 1/2 inch open end wrench too. Oh.. You will need needle nose pliers for the cotter pin that should be through the nut....I would clean it up and put some light grease on it before you put it back together...

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just about to add that in the interest of time and the PITA factor, drag it home as is and mess with it later. The extra 3-4 inches of ride height won't matter that much.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: M105 Tow ring flip and other questions.

CUCVFAN said:
I was just about to add that in the interest of time and the PITA factor, drag it home as is and mess with it later. The extra 3-4 inches of ride height won't matter that much.
I'll post a pic of what I am towing it home with when I get back and you will see my need.

ojsdna744

Re: RE: M105 Tow ring flip and other questions.

CUCVFAN said:
I second this plan of action. If it's never been flipped, (and the military usually didn't flip them), it'll be stuck in there really tight. Last one my brother flipped on a 101 took him all day to get it flipped! I'd drag it home as is and worry about it later like CUCVFAN advised.

rmgill

RE: Re: RE: M105 Tow ring flip and other questions.

An air impact hammer rattling away at the casting that holds the tapered eye shaft works VERY well to force them out. Squirttruck, a friend of his and I flipped 3 of these fast with that setup.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

I'll bring the impact to make this easier on me. No this is just planning a pickup that I have to make this thursday. There are what looks like some nice ones comming up though.

poppop

I towed mine home behind my one ton truck with the front very low. When I got it home sprayed penatrating oil on it and hit it with a hammer. It lossened right up and could be rotated with a bar stuck in the ring. I think it is supposed to swival to prevent damage when towing over rough ground.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Better bring a wrench. Doubt that you'll get a socket on it. Once the nut is loose, I usually hammer down and towards the front on the neck that elevates the lunette. Haven't found one I couldn't get off that way within a few minutes including my 1953 XM105E3.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The design of the pintle/lunette hitch is really what prevents damage over rough ground. The lunette should not spin all the way around without taking the nut off. If I remember, it is keyed top and bottom.

I still say tow it home as is, unless you're using a mini-truck or a passenger car. But, with a deuce and a CUCV, it should not be a problem.

ida34

I towed my M103 with gensets home about 300 miles with the cucv. It was tough to get it moving but if you are just getting the trailer you should be alot lighter. I think the gens weighed about 2000 lbs.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

As far as towing it, I've moved several with my pickup. Looks funny but goes right down the road no problem. Hint, bring a high lift or a bumper jack to hook it up. Even if it has the later landing gear, it woon't crank low enough and they are a little heavy at the tongue.

ida34

I use my hylift to hook mine up. It makes it a one person job everytime. If you don't have one get one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks