• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 Utility trailer build

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I decided to build a usable trailer out of an old M105a2. Earlier this year I found a drop axle with electric brakes and leaf springs in a South Dakota salvage yard for $50. The axle has 6 bolt hubs. It is supposedly a #5200 axle according to the Local trailer dealer. I picked up 3 sticks of 3" channel that are 20' long for $158 with tax. The axle was on top of the springs when I got it. After doing some figuring I decided to change the axle to under the springs because I think it will look better. I have a set of four 10.5x30x15 tires on factory GM rally wheels that will fit nicely under the trailer.

Attachments

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I would have to cut the mounting tabs ff, but they fit between the cross members so I will leave them. Cautiously pulling up to measure with the truck. Some surface rust, but not too bad

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We got her mounted for a fitting. Pulled it up from behind and slowly let it down on the frame. Fit is good. I made the tongue a little longer so it is easier to back up with the suburban. I will block it up and pull the frame out later. I want to see where to best put lights, and loops and gadgets right now. I will also add gussets and a tongue jack. When it is all done it will get weighed. The suburban should probably get traded for a M1009.

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll let you know. Need to get safety chains and lights on before it goes on the highway. It moves around the yard very nice as it is about 3-4" wider than the tow vehicle. Easy to back up when you can see it in the mirrors. It was an absolute bear behind the deuce in reverse.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been pulling this thing around at least once a week for almost 2 years. I love it!
I changed wheels and tires. The tires are 32" right now. flipped the receiver so it pulls level. The "balloon tires bounce a lot if less than 35 psi. I have a set of 31x10.50x15 that have heavier sidewalls that should be better. The bounce is only empty on horrible roads, but it is not bad.
I found a desert sand tarp in storage the other day. We are going to a swap meet and it started raining when we were loading so we put the racks and bows on.
We added 3 30 cal. ammo cans on the tongue storage of tie downs.
Dan

Attachments

4624ever

Hi Dan,
old thread but interesting. Do you still have the trailer? Did you use the factory mounting tabs to mount it on the new frame? Thanks, Dave

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks